Ten 1000W Power Supplies Put to the Test

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
From our front-page news:
Building a brand-new machine? Somewhat of a performance-hound? Looking to increase the size of your ego? Then you might very well need a power supply that delivers at least 1000W worth of monstrous power. But, the most common problem arises when you decide such a thing... which to buy? X-bit labs hopes to help with this conundrum by pitting ten popular models against each other.

Surprisingly, PCP&C is absent, as is OCZ, however Antec, Enermax, FSP and other popular favorites have made the list. As is becoming increasingly common though, some of the power supplies didn't fare well, and couldn't even be recommended, such as FSP's Epsilon, thanks to its high-voltage ripple. Antec and Enermax performed quite well, but Oleg notes that none of the PSUs tested out-performed the CM Real Power Pro he reviewed prior in terms of stable operation and low-noise levels.

<table align="center"><tbody><tr><td>
antec_1000w_psu_xbit_012208.jpg

</td></tr></tbody></table>
PSU manufacturers go on pumping up the capacity of their products and I now have the test results of models with a wattage rating up to 1500W. My job is to test, and it’s up to you to decide if your PC really needs that much power. I can only tell you one funny thing: the combined wattage of all the PSUs tested for this review exceeds 10 thousand watts!

Source: X-bit labs