Team Fortress 2 Releases The 'Uber' Update; Becomes Free to Play

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Shortly after launching the first several free-to-play games on Steam, Valve has added one more to the list: Team Fortress 2. While this won’t come as a surprise to some given the notoriously steep discounts TF2 often received during frequent sales, until now the game has varied between the price of one or two Mann Co keys. As of today the keys still cost money along with everything else in the in-game Mann Co Store, but TF2 is now completely free to play, permanently.

team_fortress_2_062411.jpg

Read the rest of our post and then discuss it here!

Kayden

Tech Monkey
I gotta be honest I didn't see this coming. However with the decline in players and so many other games going free to play, it's no surprise that this happened. I went to go play this maybe a year or so ago and the amount of players was just horrible, even at peak hours, seriously I find more people playing CSS then I do TF2 most days, yet a lot of people say they play TF2 what's up with that?

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
It's an acquired taste from what I hear. Maybe I'll grab it and see what the hubbub was about.

Kayden

Tech Monkey
Meh. I have the game. I hate it honestly.

It's an acquired taste from what I hear. Maybe I'll grab it and see what the hubbub was about.

I don't hate the game, I agree more with what Optix said "It's an acquired taste" but really I never got into it. I never left the game feeling like I had any fun, no fun factor means no going back for me, then when all the stupid hats started coming out it felt like a gimmick game after that.

I am expecting to see William Shatner's Toupée at some point in the game, just you wait! Rob would wear it! (c;

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I'll be fair in saying that I've seen no more than the menu screen for this game, but judging by the screenshots and gameplay video alone, I just have no interest. I am one of those few people still sour about the fact that TF2 was supposed to be realistic... then we were given -this-. It's just not for me. I don't mind humor and cartoons in my games, but when it comes to FPS online multiplay games, this isn't the kind of game I'm looking for.

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
Aw, you guys are disapointing me!! :p

I'm not a big fan of multiplayer FPS games, so maybe that's why I like TF2. :D Bought the Orange Box for Episode Two and Portal, but TF2 grew on me. It's a great game to just hop into and relax for a bit, and there are enough classes and weapons to find a few combos that suits my mood to either goof around with or play to win with. TF2 has always been more about having fun than simply dominating with kills, and the game design reflects that.

It totally is not realistic, that would have just killed the game as there's no way any of it could be realistic. Realistic shooters are a dime a dozen, but even then it still amazes me how many people stick to playing CS and CS:S... I used to play CS around 1.6, but shortly after CS:S came out I just got bored with it, and CS:S was identical save for slightly higher graphics. There's nothing to the game itself except who knows the map chokes and has the best crack shot skills. I never played the original Team Fortress except once, but I'm glad it wasn't a sequel.

So if you're looking for a realistic shooter I'd suggest skipping TF2, this is a completely different style of FPS. TF2 is more about map control because the battle always is moving, it isn't always in the same exact spot like CS or CS:S. Strategizing or simply working with teammates for the objectives is key, and the game mechanics completely de-emphasize crack shooting. I've found that my background with RTS kinda helps with this game. Although if you're good with on-the-fly projectile trajectories and reading players, well, you'll have lots of fun with the weapons that don't actually use bullets or explosives. ;)

I gotta be honest I didn't see this coming. However with the decline in players and so many other games going free to play, it's no surprise that this happened. I went to go play this maybe a year or so ago and the amount of players was just horrible, even at peak hours, seriously I find more people playing CSS then I do TF2 most days, yet a lot of people say they play TF2 what's up with that?

Actually, TF2 has had about the same number of players as CS and CSS for several years, although I don't recall the exact rankings to quote them nor when TF2 reached that point. Anyone can view current Steam player statistcs here: http://store.steampowered.com/stats/ Since the update you can see the numbers have obviously changed, though...

There are just so many servers to choose from that I can see how ya might think there weren't enough players! Honestly the servers can make or break the game experience... I've played on servers full of nothing but totally clueless noobs to servers full of people who's skills will show you just how good you really are. As with any game it takes a bit of trial and error to find a good server... but there are hundreds, if not thousands of steam groups and multi-game communities that run their own servers out there that usually have fun servers with good running banter to game on...

Last edited:

Kayden

Tech Monkey
Actually, TF2 has had about the same number of players as CS and CSS for several years, although I don't recall the exact rankings to quote them nor when TF2 reached that point. Anyone can view current Steam player statistcs here: http://store.steampowered.com/stats/ Since the update you can see the numbers have obviously changed, though...

There are just so many servers to choose from that I can see how ya might think there weren't enough players! Honestly the servers can make or break the game experience... I've played on servers full of nothing but totally clueless noobs to servers full of people who's skills will show you just how good you really are. As with any game it takes a bit of trial and error to find a good server... but there are hundreds, if not thousands of steam groups and multi-game communities that run their own servers out there that usually have fun servers with good running banter to game on...

They could have been low cause of Source update or something similar. I remember I was playing CSS a lot back then and when an update came out there went a lot of servers that didn't update right away. Last time I played it was Dec or Jan so about 5 or 6 months, I just checked Poker Night at the Inventory release date. I got all the items from there for TF2 and took em for a spin. I dunno maybe I have bad luck /c:

What ever the reason I'm still willing give it another go, I did like what I played when I did play TDM with ppl who weren't sitting back and having a camp fire. Pick a server, a time with a timezone of course and I will show up maybe we can get a few more TG members into it.

The mode I did have a hard time getting into was where you followed the bomb to the other end of the map, if that's your poison then let's make sure we use the voip in game too many ppl get lost doing there own thing.

This isn't just for Kougar I really do feel that after many of the updates and such the game is a 8 out 10. The micro transactions are retarded and not something I will pay for.

Last edited:

Kayden

Tech Monkey
In case any one was wonder what the differences were for FTP and Premium with TF2 FiringSquad put up some good info on it here it is

tf2table.jpg

Valve has also attempted to assuage the fears of the current player base with this section of the FAQ:

Q. How does Free-to-Play affect existing users?
It doesn’t. You can keep enjoying TF2 as you have before, with all the features and content you’ve come to expect from TF2.

Q. What do I get if I paid for the game?
To thank you for your years of support, we will be giving players who have purchased TF2 a special Proof of Purchase hat to wear on any character in-game.

Q. Won’t going Free to Play mean more griefers and cheaters?
We’re increasing our focus on making sure that hostile players can’t ruin your fun. Specifically, we’ll be keeping a close eye on players exploiting the ability to make infinite free accounts to bypass bans. We’ve built systems that’ll allow us to measure and track what these players are doing, and respond quickly.

Q. How does the Coaching feature work?
If a new player on a Free account upgrades to a premium account and indicates that you were their most helpful friend, you will receive a wearable item. Helping new users via the Coaching feature is a great way to meet new players and help them out!

http://www.firingsquad.com/news/newsarticle.asp?searchid=23821

OriginalJoeCool

Tech Monkey
I've recently become addicted to this game. I find it pretty fun, but damn, it's hard. The longest I've stayed alive is something like 3 mins.

Kayden

Tech Monkey
I've recently become addicted to this game. I find it pretty fun, but damn, it's hard. The longest I've stayed alive is something like 3 mins.

Your doing better then most people honestly. I haven't played it for a long period of time but I know that engineers should setup a health station on the front line and a good medic is hard to find. The best way to go about it usually is get a friend in there and have them cover your back to get longer play time, usually with you being a Heavy or Pyro.

I just wish Valve would support their other titles like this one, it's great because of the constant updates and content additions.

Kayden

Tech Monkey
I wouldn't mind giving it a go with you. Need to get a few more to make it really fun like 5 or so.

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
A friend of mine said the game was terrible but then again he has sunk countless hours into Terreria. WTF?

Downloading it now.

OriginalJoeCool

Tech Monkey
Haven't tried Terraria yet.

When I first started TF2, I wasn't sure what to make of it. But I soon discovered it can be really fun. Plus, there are 379 Steam achievements for it! I have 48 so far!

marfig

No ROM battery
Plus, there are 379 Steam achievements for it!

I... that is... hmm... well, th...

I really wanted to say something about that. But cultural impediments inculcated to a great extent by a nonindulgent upbringing are currently debarring my efforts at doing so in a manner that I would find most appropriate... if vulgar.

OriginalJoeCool

Tech Monkey
I think what you were going to say is that you're going to install the game and try to get every one of those achievements. It'll only take about 12 months of your time.