System Mechanic 6

stephend12

Obliviot
Anybody experience problems with this version of System Mechanic?

I installed and ran it. BIG mistake. Unlike previous versions, Sys.Mech 6 default setting takes the liberty of cleaning/fixing your PC without the option of viewing and selecting what's to be deleted. I was blocked from Ebay and other sites. Sys.Mech. wiped completely all temp.files and cookies and God knows what else! My PC then wouldn't boot. Thankfully, System Restore in safe mode saved me.

I changed Sys.Mech. startup options to prevent another disaster. If you really want to upgrade from Sys.Mech 5 be very careful of what Iolo calls 'clutter cleaning' I can't understand how Iolo launched this without running some trials with some of it's target audience

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Ouch. I have used SysMech 6 and found it far from perfect. You should definitely e-mail them though with your problem, that way they can see where it went wrong.

T-Shirt

E.M.I.
SM6 kind of took a wrong turn, trying to do too much, too automatically, the same thing that ruined Symantec s system works:(
At a time when many people need a high quality, system repair and monitoring utility, the biggest and best known have gone overboard with autofixes sometime making simple problems much worse.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Yeah, I would have to agree. I haven't heard one good thing about SM6 since it's been released... so I certainly hope they fix what they did for the next version.