Synology DS209+ 2-Bay Disk Station

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Synology has become well-known over the years for producing some of the highest-quality NAS boxes on the planet, some of which we've taken a look at in the past, and the new DS209+ is no exception. Though expensive, it has a huge feature-set and superb performance to back it up, which makes it a good buy for anyone with a fairly lenient budget.

You can read Greg's full look at the DS209+ right here and you can discuss it here!

U

Unregistered

DS 207+

Personally I own the 'light' version of the 209+ (being the 207+). And this device is already plenty fast and equipped with the same software.
At this moment the NAS is still connected to a 100Mb switch and thus not able to show it's full potention, but a saturated 100Mb connection is already very fast.
But I can imagine that when you're working with several people simultaniously on the NAS, the larger memory and faster processor are welcome. For home use however, the DS 207+ delivers all the speed that you can ask for for about €100 less (€299 in stead of €405)
I love this device.
Oh yeah, the noise produced by the DS 207+ is a bit too loud to my liking, but by replacing the standard fan with the Paps-fan (read all about that at the Synology forums), this problem is solved.

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
I love the DS207+ and use it every day for backups. I have a pair of WD 1TB "Green" drives (EADS) and it works out beautifully. I can agree with you about the noise made by the fan. It seems to be louder than necessary and good call on he fan. I haven't heard from anyone who has done this. Might give it a go myself.

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
I love the DS207+ and use it every day for backups. I have a pair of WD 1TB "Green" drives (EADS) and it works out beautifully. I can agree with you about the noise made by the fan. It seems to be louder than necessary and good call on he fan. I haven't heard from anyone who has done this. Might give it a go myself.
The DS207 is enough for me, actually I dont notice the fan.