Super Talent SuperCrypt 32GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
With USB 3.0 storage devices popping up all over, now is a good time to consider making the move to one, whether it be an enclosure or flash drive. To kick off what will be the first of many USB 3.0 device reviews, we're taking a look at Super Talent's SuperCrypt thumb drive, which promises both huge speeds and huge data protection.

You can read our full review of Super Talent's latest USB 3.0 drive here and discuss it here!

U

Unregistered

Super Talent 16GB SuperCrypt USB3.0 Flash Drive

I learned alot from your review, best I have found on the internet. Still lots of questions: The fastest 2.0 would be this 3.0 flash drive?

I would think this would also apply to the 16 gb version?

My main intent is to use the super talent 16gb USB 3 to play movies on a Pioneer dv-220v dvd player with a usb input on the front panel. I currently am using a Scandisk Cruzier 4gb for that purpose and it works flawlessly.

That being said, on occasion I may want to view a 4gb movie, I now need a larger flash drive. So why buy a fast 2.0 when I can spend money on the future and buy a 3.0, which already is the fastest 2.0! Correct?

Does the super talent come pre-formatted as FAT32 ?

Will the security software/hardware present a problem? As of this date has super talent created the software to remove the security?

Now significant is the file transfer speed when using a flashdrive for this application?

Would another dvd player similiar to the pioneer be more user friendly for this use?

Thank you for your help!

I found the Super Talent 16GB SuperCrypt USB3.0 Flash Drive on EBAY for $109. Anybody know of a better price?

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Hi Unregistered:

Thanks for the nice comments on the article :)

Does the super talent come pre-formatted as FAT32?

Yes, unless the drive is above 32GB (sometimes not even then), the drive will be FAT32 for the sake of overall compatibility.

Will the security software/hardware present a problem? As of this date has super talent created the software to remove the security?

To be honest, that's a tough one to answer, because while the drive might work just fine on one device, it might not on the other. The reason is that there are two partitions here, one being the security, and the other being for the actual storage. The security partition prefaces the storage one, so a device that only picks up one partition might only see the security, or none at all.

For what it's worth, I had no trouble at all using the thumb drive in my PlayStation 3. If the device (as in, DVD player) is smart enough to detect two partitions, you shouldn't have an issue.

What I do recommend, though, is not getting the SuperCrypt as it's more expensive, but rather something like a Super Talent Express drive, which is much less expensive, but not as fast, or even an OCZ Enyo. The latter is getting rather expensive, but it also holds twice as much, and is a lot faster overall.

As for better DVD players to use, I honestly have no idea as I don't even own one (I just use the PS3 for DVD purposes). I didn't even know DVD players today came with USB ports, so that's a new one on me, haha. I think generally you're going to be fine, but if you are not going to be using 3.0 right away, there's little reason to invest in such an expensive drive.

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
I agree, if you need encryption on your flash drive then http://www.truecrypt.org/ is the best bet. It is free, it works, and it doesn't require additional partitions or otherwise affect how the drive is accessed. It also has the option of instead of encrypting the drive itself, it only encrypts a container file which ensures it should work fine on any system or device.