Super Talent Releases Ultra-Fast DDR3-1800 4GB Kit

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
From our front-page news:
When it comes to performance memory, what's the company to first pop into your mind? OCZ? Corsair? Mushkin? Well today, Super Talent can officially say that they offer the best DDR3 kit currently available. At DDR3-1800, it's not the fastest kit out there, but what makes this one special is the fact that it's 4GB... no other 4GB kit available reaches that height.

The kit is made even sweeter with the rather tight latencies of 8-8-8-24 at 1.9v. Given the sheer speed and density of these, those timings are rather impressive and a good sign of what's to come. DDR3 hasn't even been commercially available for a year, and the differences between today's kits and what was available at launch are totally night and day.

So what will it take to own this blazing-fast kit? Why, only $499! Sure, it's high, but the humorous thing is that $500 just 10 months ago would have scored you a 2GB DDR3 kit with very embarrassing specs. By years-end, the prices could even be half of what they are now, spec for spec. As for purchase, Super Talent is only offering this particular kit at eWiz.com for now, but it's currently not in stock.

<table align="center"><tbody><tr><td>
super_talent_ddr3_official_packaging_042208.jpg

</td></tr></tbody></table>
Super Talent's Project X memory is widely regarded as the world's most advanced DDR3. "This represents another major first-to-market milestone for Super Talent", commented Super Talent Marketing Director, Joe James. "While competitors are only able to produce 4GB kits up to DDR3-1600, we've engineered a kit that performs at elevated clock speeds while still supporting aggressive latencies."

Source: Super Talent

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
I was wondering the other day... For the best performance and access latency you want a 2:1 ratio. So a 400FSB means DDR3-1600MHz RAM is needed.

I wonder what the sweet spot for RAM speeds will be with Nehalem, or if it would even matter anymore? In which case lower latency should work great... Not sure I'd be calling CAS 8-8-8-24 "tight" :)

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Well, most high-performance RAM, including this stuff, would require a CPU overclock, so it would all scale. DDR3-1800 would be 450MHz FSB, and likewise, DDR3-2000 would be 500MHz.

The latter is the reason I haven't been reviewing RAM lately. I can't seem to find a board to handle 500MHz FSB. I've been using the P5E3 Premium for a bit, and it maxes out at 475MHz like most of the X38 boards I had.

I think it's time to get in an NVIDIA board. Those always overclock well.

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
I probably asked already and don't remember... did you try Gigabyte Intel boards? Even the P31-DS3L was capable of a stable 480FSB without any real effort. 965P-DS3 Rev 1 got my little E6300 to 501FSB, P35-DQ6 made it to 542FSB / 3.8GHz fully stable thanks to actually having more than 3 mosfets/vreg system.

Would be interesting to try an ASUS board... I am wondering if Gigabyte "auto" handles some settings that ASUS doesn't, since ASUS offers around twice as many overclocking settings and memory settings. I'm sort of worried the moment I buy a enthusiast grade ASUS board I'll find it just doesn't live up to my experience with Gigabyte.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
That's the weird thing... it seems the budget boards have a better chance of achieving a high overclock. The P5N-E SLI I reviewed back in Dec 06 came close to 500MHz... and since then, no luck.

I do have a Gigabyte X48T-DQ6 here. I need to benchmark another board first, then that will be going straight in. Hopefully I'll have better luck with that one.

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
That's the weird thing... it seems the budget boards have a better chance of achieving a high overclock. The P5N-E SLI I reviewed back in Dec 06 came close to 500MHz... and since then, no luck.

Well, I can make a theory on that. Those are the largest percentage of the boards sold... Gigabyte has always been helpful about listening to customers, and if the largest percentage uses midrange boards... ;)

Back during the 965P-DS3 days they released no less than 12 official BIOS releases... and many, many interim beta releases for that single motherboard. I was there, started with F1 August 2006 and finished with F12, and boy there was a huge difference between them!

I do have a Gigabyte X48T-DQ6 here. I need to benchmark another board first, then that will be going straight in. Hopefully I'll have better luck with that one.

I was simply drooling over the X48-DQ6. Two phase chipset and two-phase memory power design (X38 was just one phase for each), not to mention a much more respectable list of overclocking settings available in the BIOS... If you can't get anywhere with that board, then I'm going to have to be paying you a little visit... :D