Super Talent Releases (Somewhat) Affordable SSD Lineup

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
From our front-page news:
Less than two months ago, memory manufacturer Super Talent released one of the largest solid-state disks we've seen to date, and at 256GB, it was undoubtedly impressive. But at $6,000, it became more exclusive than a Rolex. The fact is, SSDs started out expensive and haven't gone down in price much at all, but Super Talent's latest release is looking to change that.

Though not stated, their new MasterDrive series are more appropriate for end-users over their original models, as most of them are going to retail for well under $1,000. The 'MX' series will include three different models, 30GB, 60GB and 120GB, the latter of which is rather staggering considering many popular SSDs on the market don't currently go beyond 64GB. Prices are $299, $449 and $699, respectively.

The reason for the lower prices is due to the use of MLC flash chips, rather than the faster SLC. So while the read speed will be on par with what we've seen (120MB/s), the write speed drops to around 40MB/s. The 'DX' series by comparison stick with SLC while boosting the write speed to 70MB/s. Is the speed boost worth the extra cost? At $699 for the 30GB and $1299 for the 60GB, that's a question you will have to answer yourself.

<table align="center"><tbody><tr><td>
super_talent_consumer_ssd_050608.jpg

</td></tr></tbody></table>
MasterDrive SSDs use NAND Flash rather than magnetic platters as the storage medium, giving them many advantages over HDDs. These drives have no moving parts, and therefore are completely silent, lighter weight and more reliable than HDDs. Moreover, they consume a fraction of the power of HDDs, meaning they produce less heat and offer longer battery life in mobile computing.

Source: Super Talent Press Release

On_Wisconsin

Coastermaker
At $699 for the 30GB and $1299 for the 60GB, that's a question you will have to answer yourself.

Nope, but if my laptop HD dies someday I'd consider the 60GB MX version because it would be an overall upgrade to the 5400RPM version, except for space which I don't need...

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Even at these prices, I have no idea who "needs" them. They use less power and are faster, but I'm wondering how much less power it uses that it would improve laptop battery life to the point of it becoming worthwhile?

Hard drives in notebooks don't use that much power to begin with, it's usually the GPU and CPU, so I'm not sure of what benefits there are besides the speed.

That said, for someone with a mobile workstation, it would be worth it, since speed is everything.

Krazy K

Partition Master
Find that article where next gen or whomever put 9 of those SSDs in a RAID and then ran all kinds of benchmarks on those and about 15 other drives. I'm think power was one of them, but I can't be sure.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Find that article where next gen or whomever put 9 of those SSDs in a RAID and then ran all kinds of benchmarks on those and about 15 other drives. I'm think power was one of them, but I can't be sure.

That was impressive as heck, but still, it was using 16GB drives, which are still not cheap. Pair nine together, and it's ridiculous. Sure it's super fast, but that doesn't change the fact that it's 16GB!

I'm sure a similar effect would happen if you were to RAID 9 regular hard drives together. It would suck a lot more power though. It might not be as fast, but it would sure be a lot less expensive, and avail you far more storage space.

Krazy K

Partition Master
That was impressive as heck, but still, it was using 16GB drives, which are still not cheap. Pair nine together, and it's ridiculous. Sure it's super fast, but that doesn't change the fact that it's 16GB!

I'm sure a similar effect would happen if you were to RAID 9 regular hard drives together. It would suck a lot more power though. It might not be as fast, but it would sure be a lot less expensive, and avail you far more storage space.

Agreed. You pair 9 PMR drives and you will have a relative increase in power and performance. 9 watts isn't that much, it is only 9 joules/sec or 9 newton*meters/sec or 9 times all of this:

* the energy required to lift a small apple one meter straight up.
* the energy released when that same apple falls one meter to the ground.
* the amount of energy, as heat, that a quiet person generates every hundredth of a second.
* the energy required to heat one gram of dry, cool air by 1 degree Celsius.
* one hundredth of the energy a person can get by drinking a single drop of beer.
* the kinetic energy of an adult human moving a distance of about a handspan every second.

So the trade-off for lower power by a factor of about 1 and a cost increase by a factor 100 isn't worth it to me, but if you want those bragging rights, more power to you.

update:

The SSD's went from .55W idle to 2.95W load and the Raptor, 9.19W idle to 10.02W load. The SSDs will draw 536% more power in load than they do and idle and the Raptor, 109% more. That's more consistent and that's better, right?

Last edited:

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
You don't use Raptors in laptops though. Laptop drives, especially the 1.8" sized units draw almost the same amount of power as a SSD that could replace them. I don't remember the site, but they found that their particular SSD ate slightly more power in their laptop. The laptop used one of those tiny iPod drives.

The battleship Mtron review was a riot, I remember that one. Anandtech hinted they are working on one of their own right now... ;)

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
More than likely why I'm interested is because of the sour taste of having 2/3 HDs ordered either arrive DOA (first computer build in 07) or simply die (our MyBook after 6 mos).

Yeah, a small sample but they were very frustrating :eek:

That's interesting. I've never ordered an HD that has been DOA. Your experience was just with mobile drives?