Steganos Internet Anonym 2006

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
<p>Steganos have just released a new version of their award winning Internet Anonym program, which brings us to version 8! We are taking a look at the basics, and also what's new. Has much changed? Let's check it out.</p>

steganos_2006.gif

After checking out the article here, please feel free to make any comments in this thread!

A

Anonynona

Cio

Rob Williams said:
<p>...In future versions, I'd love to {have} the ability to add new programs that you want to be cloaked. Great stuff overall.</p>
Your review was close, but you missed mentioning that there were a number of other nice new options. Your wish, as quoted above, now exists; there are now 2 types of anonymity, something easily overlooked if rushed at all. The first is as you explained, providing anonymity for what I saw sorely lacking when I first got the program, SIAPro 7, about 4 months ago (e.g., ssl and ftp sites returned your IP to its public availability!); when I asked support about the problem, I was told it wasn't possible to do...it sure didn't take them long to find out how! The second type of anonymity is called Extended; when set to this type, your anonymity extends to programs you may use while not using the browser, but that use the internet on their own (mail clients, accounting programs accessing banks, money markets, brokers, etc.)! I think you'll like it after you see it!

You also have the ability to set how often, to some extent - hard coded choices, the host servers are optimized. As the author suggested for DSL, I set it to optimize every 10 minutes, the quickest time available between optimizations and it makes a difference. Big improvement over v7, which I found very lacking in this area, as it would start up with 100-160 servers and I would immediately start it optimizing. After churning through them all I would consitently end up with anywhere from 15-35 servers that passed!! I'm sure the servers used haven't changed, but I'd rather not see such dismal numbers. ;)

You can now set up individual URL's that you wish to bypass the anonymizing process, which is another thing I was wanting - it's great!

If you have a good graphics card, but maybe would rather not use the 3-D globe, you can turn it off. It's nice to watch for a bit, but there are only a fixed number of positions for the crosshair to slide to and many times it looks like it's hurrying to catch up to the server location...it misses the race sometimes. :)

You never said just what oddities you were experiencing...?? I recently was dragged into a poisoned DNS cache; it was Steganos.com!! Had the temperament of a hijacking mixed in with a phishing expedition. I had used the link inside the SIAP7 to go to their site and up popped a completely different site selling everything in the world...looking at the page links, every single one of them (and there were many) showed Steganos.com as the domain site! Some other things also occured that I told them about, providing an in-depth article explaining DNS cache poisoning.

I am having very good speed out of 2006 and would recommend it to any wanting really solid anonymity!

Thanks for your time! BTW, I give it a 9.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Hey Anonynona,

Thanks for your review! I am glad to see you enjoy the program so much, and have found more uses for it than I did. Sadly, I had to start and finish that review in two hours flat in order to hit publishing, so apparently that helped me miss things :/

As for that extended.. I didn't even notice it! Of course now I forget exactly which program I wanted to use to remain anonymous :/ I'll try and remember and then give it a try.

Great writeup!

M

Maverick

Hi Anonynona, great explanation but maybe you could help me with an annoying problem.
When i install the program it works great although slow(maybe i need to adjust a few things as suggested in your post) but when i switch the computer off/on i can still get a link to the internet but cannot connect to any website or even update my antivirus(nod32). Running the network wizard sorts this but only AFTER i uninstall the program. then i also have to reboot..
Any advice would be appreciated thx.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
That's a problem that a lot of people run into with that program, including me. To be honest, I forget how I ever actually fixed the problem, but it may have had something to do with the Firewall. You could try contacting their official support, because there is no doubt they have run into this issue many times. They have have a quick answer for you.

U

Unregistered

FGGF

SAOLUN
<p>Steganos have just released a new version of their award winning Internet Anonym program, which brings us to version 8! We are taking a look at the basics, and also what's new. Has much changed? Let's check it out.</p>

steganos_2006.gif

After checking out the article here, please feel free to make any comments in this thread!