Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I had this happen to a couple of different games in my list:

steam_convert.png

Anyone ever experience that before?

RainMotorsports

Partition Master
Only time I ever saw it was when restoring a backup from one pc to the next. Something about a new format. After all that time it ended up redownloading it and most of the other games in the backup. Useless feature of the decade.

CaptainFluffy

Obliviot
Only time I ever saw it was when restoring a backup from one pc to the next. Something about a new format. After all that time it ended up redownloading it and most of the other games in the backup. Useless feature of the decade.

Yeah. A couple of games did that when I moved all my Steam games to a new hard drive. Too lazy to convert them so right now they're just stuck at "download paused" until I want to play them.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Hmm. I guess it's because I re-installed Windows about a month ago. But even so, the games didn't move and were not changed. It sounds like Steam was just whining for no reason.

marfig

No ROM battery
Probably a result of their DRM. Otherwise there's 0 reason for touching the game or the cache files when moving to another machine or re-installing the OS.

Digital Right Management changing the world one legitimate user at a time.

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
I have never seen that before, ever. And I moved my entire steam install directory over to a second SSD just recently using their "approved" method. Here's how they recommend it, it's pretty straightforward

As marfig suggests, I bet it is just a DRM related file integrity / anti-modification check triggered by moving the files around without doing it via their approved method. ;)

Last edited:

Brett Thomas

Senior Editor
YAY DRM! I LOVE DRM! IT'S SO BEAUTIFUL THAT IT....

oh, wait, f*** that s****.

If it weren't Steam, I'd say crack it just for the spirit of it. But it's steam, so I'll just say that at least for the most part it's fairly unobtrusive DRM.