Steam Launches Free To Play Games

Tharic-Nar

Senior Editor
Staff member
Starting today, Steam, the online games distribution service from Valve, will be starting up a new service of sorts, free to play games. Steam normally sells games while offering demo downloads for free, but does not support actual free games. This is most likely down to a certain fiscal element not being provided for the bandwidth. So, how can Steam provide free games without the burden of costs? Micro-transactions of course!

steam_freeplay_061511.jpg

You can read the rest of our post and discuss here.

Last edited:

Kayden

Tech Monkey
I glad to see they are promoting free to play games now. I have ran into quite a few free games out there that have malware or viruses in them but they are real games. This way I can point to one place with more then choice.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
This is a brilliant move on Valve's part. The games are free to play, but certain in-game transactions (purchasing items or services) will have a cut going straight to Valve. I am a little surprise this took so long, to be honest.

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
I am a little surprise this took so long, to be honest.

I don't think many of these free to play games have been around that long, was the problem. I still recall BattleForge... it was pretty interesting when Electronic Arts saw the writing on the wall and switched it to a free to play game model, but the idea didn't seem to gain much traction at the time.

With Steam, they'll have a complicated situation of working out how Valve will get their cut. Imagine if they only got a base % off the top of every micro-transaction. Valve would be taking a risk, as they provide advertising and hosting/matchmaking infrastructure in addition to the cost of downloading terabytes of data per single game. The game might not generate enough micro-transactions to recoup the costs per download. Bandwidth is dirt cheap, but not free. But, if the game dev pays them a fixed amount per download too, they might end up owing Valve more money than they make from the game... Tricky situation on both sides really.

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
I wonder if we'll see APB added to the list? It's about the biggest failboat on the high seas in my eyes, even with the extra effort that Gamers First has put into it. Maybe with extra people it will get the attention it deserves to make it somewhat playable.

Kayden

Tech Monkey
I wonder if we'll see APB added to the list? It's about the biggest failboat on the high seas in my eyes, even with the extra effort that Gamers First has put into it. Maybe with extra people it will get the attention it deserves to make it somewhat playable.

I think Hellgate London is coming up along side it. They are going to be rereleasing that to NA region soon as a free to play as well, they currently have it in Korea (I think). I was stupid and bought it when it was on sale and literally 2 months later it was dead. I felt so cheated. If it hit's Steam I will give it another go, same with APB.

I don't think many of these free to play games have been around that long, was the problem. I still recall BattleForge... it was pretty interesting when Electronic Arts saw the writing on the wall and switched it to a free to play game model, but the idea didn't seem to gain much traction at the time.

Global Agenda has been around for a while, but you had to pay for the base game still. They just went to a completely a few months and that has pushed there in game player up quite a bit, I use to play.

I also use to play Champions Online even the free one with their silver account and it is very limited. They still have the monthly sub for the gold account and it's about the only one worth having, if you don't have a group of 3 or 4 ppl around at all times with the silver account.

I have checked out the videos and here is what I thought of them.

Spiral Knight's looks like an interesting dungeon crawler. Torchlight GFX but with Diablo 2 MP, this should be tried with great haste.

Forsaken World I think I have heard of this one from word of mouth but it looks like Guild Wars GFX while trying to be WOW knock off. I'll give it a go if some one else wants to, I am just so sick of WOW clones I feel like I could hack up a raid zone.

Alliance of Valiant Arms it's like Serious Sam meets L4D and there shouldn't be anything wrong with that but it looks so bland, like dry toast in the desert when you want a glass of water bad. I want to avoid this one like the plague.

mental note *don't do multiple responses as an edit when family unexpectedly wants your attention, makes it appear that you worked at 3D Realms or something*

Last edited: