Steam backup issues

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Steam is a great platform, but riddled with glitches and bugs, one being that when you create backups of your favorite games to restore later, there is a good chance that it will not output the file required to restore the backup later.

For those unaware, when you use Steam, you have the ability to back up any games you like, which you can then burn to CDs/DVDs to restore later. The only hitch to restoring is that you need to be online, in order to let Steam verify that you are the one who owns the games being restored. Regardless, if you happen to back up more than one huge game at a time, chances are good it will not output the required files that you need:

autorun.inf
steam.ico
steambackup.exe

The problem is, without these files, the backup is useless. However, what I found out was that it doesn't matter what games you backed up, or what they are called, but if you have these three files in the backup directory, you are then able to restore it. There is no embedded information in these files. So essentially, if Steam didn't put those files in the directory, you can simply copy them there yourself and your backup will not be a waste.

I've included the three files as an attachment here. Chances are you might need them in the future, if Valve doesn't fix the blatant bug soon.

Attachments

• Steam_Backup.zip
    120.6 KB · Views: 1,544

NicePants42

Partition Master
Har.

I've never bothered to backup my Steam games simply because I've been able to get them installed again once I verify my account information.

Never-the-less, those are very convenient files to have - thanks Rob.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Backing up games is most useful for those who redo their computers often... like me. I install a fresh version of Windows normally every time I have to work on a review that requires performance reports, so downloading the games each time for benchmarking is a no go. The backups are perfect. Another option is to backup the entire Steam install folder, then on the new machine, install Steam and once done, overwrite it with your own folder. Backing up is the less messy way though.

Seatwo

Obliviot
Ive used the steam backup for my games a number of times and have never had any problems with it. Maybe im just lucky

ComradeWolf

Obliviot
I'd have to agree with Rob Williams on this one, Steam is a really great platform for running games good prices online etc., but it does have some crappy glitches in such. It can very annoying.:(