Spire RockeTeer V 500W Power Supply

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Spire makes power supplies? We didn't realize this until recently, so we were more than happy to give one a run on our test bench. This is obviously a product with gamers in mind thanks to its SLi support. But wait... why only one PCI-E connector?

Regarding Greg's review, if you have any comments, feel free to post in here!

madstork91

The One, The Only...
is that supposed to be a link to purchase it at the end of the review? if so its not working.

WHy didnt this thing get a higher review? I read the cons but it seemed like something that was definatly worth looking at next build. Im horrible with cable management, so the less there is the better for me. :)

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
Is an 8 that bad of a score? In another PSU review, I gave the Silverstone Strider 560W a 9 out of 10 and it had an active PFC and an extra 60 watts. True the retail version has 2 SATA cables and 2 PCI-E, but that does not make up for the fact that the SATA cable that was included had questionable plastic for the connectors. What is one gave out and your HDD was disconnected.

If you are thinking of using this in your next build, I can say go for it. I was very impressed how stable the rails stood under load and the thing was quiet when running in silent mode. Like I said in the review, "I would have no reservations at all in recommending this to anyone in the market for a new power supply."

I hope this clears things up a bit for you.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
madstork91 said:
WHy didnt this thing get a higher review?

You are the one who complains about seeing too many 9/10's on the website...

I would have knocked off two points alone for the fact that it's an SLi PSU with a single PCI-E connector.

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
I was going to do just that. After I called Spire, I was told that I was more than likely sent an OEM PSU and that the current SP-500W comes with a pair of PCI-E and SATA cables. I didn't see the need to dock them any points if the problem has all ready been fixed.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
DarkSynergy said:
I was told that I was more than likely sent an OEM PSU and that the current SP-500W comes with a pair of PCI-E and SATA cables.
I am not even so sure about that. A friend who runs another tech site, had the same issues. Spire told them to send back the PSU so that they could send out a new, revised one according to what you mentioned. Of course, he received a new PSU with a single PCI-E connector. I am not too sure about Spire anymore to be honest.

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
Thats rather intersting. I unfortunatly do not know who I spoke with at Spire but I am working with the assumption that he knew what he was talking about. I hope that the retail version ships with the appropriate amount of cables or I just lied to everyone who read my review.

Both of them.