Spicing Up Your OS with Amazing Free Icons

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
From our front-page news:
On Friday, I made a post about some Windows Vista themes that where not only great-looking, but completely free as well. Definitely check out that post if you haven't already, if you are interested in spicing up your home PC a little bit. Over the weekend, I set up a fresh Linux computer for benchmarking purposes (stay tuned) and had a massive craving to upgrade some of the icons for the games installed there.

Well, in my travels, I stumbled upon a great site (minus the pop-ups) that offers a slew of free icons for any OS that supports .ico or .png files, which all three common OS' on the market can easily do. You can see a sample of the gorgeous samples available, with the Crysis and Gears of War icons shown below, but those are just the beginning. Other game icons there take care of Diablo II, Half-Life 2, Oblivion, Quake I - IV, STALKER, and well, you get the idea.

Though I originally went there for gaming, the site offers a lot more than just that. There are categories for business, cartoons, computer, folder, funny (of course, gotta have 'em), people, TV and so forth. If you want to push your OS beyond the common theme, definitely check out the site to satisfy all your icon needs. I should say that I'm sure this is not the only good icon site out there, so if you have one to recommend, post in the thread!

icons_gaming_081108.jpg

The Icon Archive is a categorized collection of high quality desktop & web icon sets. We currently have over 19,200 icons in 696 sets from 166 icon authors. Icons can be used for Windows (XP, Vista, etc.), Macintosh (OSX, OS) and Linux (as PNG Files). Copyright of icons belong to original authors. Public usage license can be found on each icon set page. If you want to use icons commercially, please contact the author of the icons you want to use.

Source: Icon Archive