Sony's PlayStation Network Down; Could Be All Weekend

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
It appears that Sony's PlayStation Network, the service required for all online play (and the PSN store), has been down for the past couple of days, and sadly has no resolution in sight. Sony has stated that it is investigating the issue, and was up front with the prolonged downtime, by saying "it may be a full day or two before we're able to get the service completely back up and running".

sony_playstation_3_123010.jpg

Read through the rest of our post and then discuss it here!

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
Total stupidity on the hackers part if it was indeed them.

Odd that Sony isn't admitting it, only reason they'd have to stay silent was if they haven't figured out how it was occurring yet or if it was due to an issue on their end.

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
DDoS is not hacking. Hows about we stop calling them hackers if this turns out to be a DDoS.

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
Alright, fair enough point that. :)

The bad news is Sony isn't even sure about user's personal / financial information. This very likely looks like more than just a DDoS attack now. More info at http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/...y-isnt-sure-your-credit-card-data-is-safe.ars

Yeah, this seems to be getting more and more interesting. If it were just a DDoS, Sony could take down the site without any negative impact on the site files and database itself. It would just not be reachable. They then could have used the time as an unplanned and unexpected maintenance period. You are right Kougar in stating that this could be more than that. The fact that this is STILL happening suggests it could be something far worse. Good yet troubling read.

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
Although, I think all would be forgiven if Sony would use this time to cleanse it's environment of Playstation Home. :)

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
It's rather insane that the service is still down, but for the most part, it seems most people (at least in the comments I've viewed) have been mostly understanding. It'd sure suck to be a PSN gamer right now, though...