Sony DVRs that use Rovi are soon to be useless

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I am not familiar with DVRs at -all-, but I'm posting this here just in case anyone around here happens to use one of Sony's. Here's the blurb from Slashdot:

"Rovi has just announced that they are stopping the TV Guide OnScreen service as of April 13th, 2013. This was announced via the service itself. This is an on-air listing service that provides listings over the air, as part of an OTA TV signal. Many devices, notably the Sony HDD 250 and 500 Digital Video Recorders, will no longer function without the clock-set data this stream provides. When other companies decide to stop supporting something, they don't make older systems useless. Worse, Sony never came out with another DVR in the U.S. market. Why do we have to rent them? How do we get Sony or Rovi to provide at least a software patch to set the clock so the DVR can at least retain 1980s VCR functionality? Sony admits there is no fix. A thread on AVS forums has a bunch of information on TV Guide OnScreen. The TV stations who broadcast the data have been ordered by Rovi to disconnect the data inserters and ship them back. I have a TiVo, and yes, I know all about HTPC, but this data stream was 'lifetime listings' like TiVo has 'lifetime listings' — now that Rovi is looking to cut service, my two DVR units are about to become useless."

http://entertainment.slashdot.org/s...vr-useless-after-rovi-stops-tv-guide-onscreen

madmat

Soup Nazi
Sue the shit out of Rovi? If you're supposed to get lifetime service as per their agreement and they renege on that then they are at fault.