Soccer and guns.

madstork91

The One, The Only...
I do not want to start a huge "the war is just because of this" or "I hate bush" thread.

I do however want some comments on the attached photo.

Attachments

• 1135231352619.jpeg
    1135231352619.jpeg
    32.8 KB · Views: 580

moon111

Coastermaker
How dare you show a photo of soldiers interacting with civilians and providing security to making the world a better place? The only way a picture like this should be allowed is if one of the kids had explosives wrapped around their waist!

juGGaKNot

Obliviot
the photo .. so cute ... :X

nevermind the genocide

i'll never come to america ! maybe to kill bush ... ( the fbi is already on my tail )

would like to go to canada .. have friends there :p

NicePants42

Partition Master
A nice shot of some US soldiers hanging out with the locals. I guess this must be what US Soldiers do they do when they aren't 'Going into the homes of Iraqis in the dead of night, terrorizing women and children' or committing genocide, according to some. :rolleyes:

GameMasterNick

Coastermaker
Must be hard to play soccer while holding a heavy, shoulder-strapped firearm.

What I wonder is why this area is visibly patrolled by no less than three combat-ready soldiers. Are there insurgents nearby? Is it kind of a Big Brother/Big Sister program for Iraqi youth (with assault armaments)?

GameMasterNick

Coastermaker
i'll never come to america ! maybe to kill bush ... ( the fbi is already on my tail )

The FBI is on everyone's tail, and the Administration now has the right to station military -within American borders- to 'suppress public disorder'.

The John Warner Defense Authorization Act of 2007, which was quietly signed by Bush on October 17, 2006, the very same day that he signed the Military Commissions Act, allows the president to station military troops anywhere in the United States and take control of state-based National Guard units without the consent of the governor or local authorities, in order to “suppress public disorder.”

For more details and other news that 'slipped through the cracks' check out this site. http://www.projectcensored.org/censored_2008/index.htm

Student journalism at its... most civil disobidient.

NicePants42

Partition Master
What I wonder is why this area is visibly patrolled by no less than three combat-ready soldiers. Are there insurgents nearby? Is it kind of a Big Brother/Big Sister program for Iraqi youth (with assault armaments)?
There is nothing in the photo that indicates what the area is. You assume that it isn't a large square full of people or a high value target. Also, out of curiosity, how many soldiers would you group together on a routine patrol through a potentially hostile area?

GameMasterNick

Coastermaker
Actually, either would be reasonable reasons... though if insurgents are suspected as being nearby, or a high-risk target is in sight, one would hope the soldiers would be a touch more vigilant.

Judging from the design, I'd guess it is a meeting area, likely a school or kibbutz-type setup. High chance this is a posed photo, due to the lack of -anything- within the building behind them. I have a friend in LSA Anaconda who constantly complains about his mates being requested for photo ops or spending sprees, though it is just as likely the photo was taken by a journalist tagalong (in which case they would usually avoid dangerous areas and stick to photo/psi-ops locations).

Last edited:

madstork91

The One, The Only...
I think a more rational explanation is possible.

They were all standing around and bored. Someone had a ball.

sbrehm72255

Tech Monkey
I think a more rational explanation is possible.

They were all standing around and bored. Someone had a ball.

That's all it normally takes to get a GI involved in any sport (war zone or not), got a ball, lets play. We used to play the locals all the time over there after the shooting stopped in the first Gulf War...............:eek:

juGGaKNot

Obliviot
at the risk of being flamed eternally by some of you:

Soccer sucks. ;-p

Hitting a ball is a sport =)))))

its like nascar , cars going around in circles = sport

people f**king up their brain is a sport also. ( yes i'm talking about boxing )

now counter-strike is a real sport !

Naish

E.M.I.
Sorry, as an avid video gamer myself, I have to admit.

Video games being an olympic sport would be a disgrace, and what's sad, is there are actually people who believe it has a place there.