So I'm looking for an mp3/video player, that isn't apple. HELP!

killem2

Coastermaker
When I go to the gym I use this dinky old stick mp3 player my wife ditched a while back. 1 gig, its ok, uses aaa like no tomorrow though and it is really annoying to recharge those.

I really want something that can power up via usb, take some sort of external memory (sd, or mini sd, ect), but can play the obvious mp3s, but more importantly, so I can have my Top Gear episodes on the go..

AVIs and MKVs!

My budget is pretty sad, sadly, so I don't know if there is anything, but 100.00 is really my limit, lower the better, quality is not so much an issue as long as it is not so pixelated that I can't see what is on the screen.

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
Sandisk makes a wide variety of good mp3 players for any option, but I haven't kept up with the versions that feature screens, so I don't know if those are worthwhile. Maybe Rob can offer some recommendations here. If nothing else I think the MS Zune series would be a cheaper alternative as well.

killem2

Coastermaker
Thanks for the reply, i found out, my wife does have a san disk fuze, it said it could play mpeg4s and when I tried to copy some to it it did nothing, after some trusty googling, I found a converter specifically for the fuze players that will take any format of video and turn it into a very nicely compressed viewable avi for her player, so i bought this :)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16855125067

and have began converting all my top gear episodes haha :D

its not the most amazing thing in the world but for working out on a treadmill and stuff, its ok for me.

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
Let us know what you think of it and how it goes for you, Killem!

I own a Sansa Express just because they were cheaper than Apple's equivalent at the time, had a good FM player, and I wanted one I could upgrade the capacity on down the road once microSD cards dropped in price. (Nothing like buying a 2GB player, then later quadrupling the capacity for less than half the original cost of the player itself later!). For the most part it's a good player. The Express series had some particular quirks, such as an overly elaborate menu system that orders music playback based on tags rather than name and make switching between albums harder than it should be when in album mode. Their other players didn't have that issue thankfully.

killem2

Coastermaker
My wife has the 4gb version and it plays videos (sadly after snagging another program to convert them correctly) but it does it well and much cheaper than anything apple can offer.