Snow Leopard Bug Could Result in Data Loss

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
From our front-page news:
When Apple's "Snow Leopard" operating system hit the market in late August, it promised some big things, despite offering such a small feature-set. The goal wasn't to bombard consumers with new features, but rather deliver a much faster OS experience, and that was pulled off thanks to the fact that it was almost completely re-written. Since its launch, however, Snow Leopard hasn't been the most well-received, for a few reasons.

The most "minor" of them all was due to the lack of that new OS feeling... there just wasn't much to savour. For those who purchased it thinking otherwise, no one could be blamed but themselves, because no one claimed it was to deliver numerous new features, and the price tag, at $29, proved it. That's the minor issue... the major issue(s) come down to bugs, and a fair number of them. While most are mild in their overall effect, there's one that lingers that has the ability to cause some major headaches for consumers.

In short, the bug can result in lost data, and from what I can tell, it's specific to the user's home folder. That's the scary part... the even scarier part is knowing just how easy it is to pull it off. The process is as simple as logging into the guest account, and then back into your own. That's all. According to Apple, the effect is rare, but there have been reports of it occurring ever since the OS' launch. Apple is investigating deeper, and I'd assume that a patch to correct the issue will be released as soon as possible.

You have to appreciate the irony of such a bug, because Apple has been extremely vocal over the years of just how secure its OS is compared to the competition (Windows). Yet, here's a bug that's obscenely simple to pull off, and it could potentially render all data in your home folder vanished. I'm not familiar enough with Mac OS X's file system to know if data could be easily recovered, but if it's anything like most Linux file systems, the chances of recovery are ridiculously slim.

apple_mac_os_x_snow_leopard_082409.jpg

"When I logged into my MacBook Pro this morning, it was as if I had logged into my Guest Account and not my standard user profile," user parshallnet said. "No icons on the desktop, the desktop wallpaper was the default 'space' photo and not the one I had assigned, no documents in the docs folder, apps behaved as if I'd never opened them before." The issue was initially reported when Snow Leopard first launched, but complaints have grown as adoption of the platform has continued. Monday, Engadget highlighted the issue.

Source: Apple Insider

MacMan

Partition Master
Now you know why I'm a waiting until later to install Snow Leopard. This event is extremely rare, despite the fact that many in the media are treating it like it was very common in order to generate hits. As far as Linux and OS X are concerned, they are, for the most part, one and the same! If you know Linux, you can find your way around OS X in a jiffy, however, I wouldn't hold out much hope once your data is lost. Snow Leopard was rushed out sooner to make it appear to get an edge over Windows 7, so I will wait a few more months until this, and any other bug has been crushed.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
MacMan said:
As far as Linux and OS X are concerned, they are, for the most part, one and the same!

Well, I've heard this a lot, but I don't entirely agree. Both OS' ultimately feature a similar back-end, but that's where the similarities end as far as I'm concerned. What's on top of the Unix (or BSD) kernel is completely different on each OS, so if there's a potential security risk with OS X, it's not likely to effect Linux, unless it's kernel specific (and has existed for a while). In the case of this particular data-wiping bug, it likely resides within Mac OS X's login manager, so the same issue isn't possible to replicate on a Linux machine.

MacMan said:
Snow Leopard was rushed out sooner to make it appear to get an edge over Windows 7, so I will wait a few more months until this, and any other bug has been crushed.

At what point in history did rushing a piece of software prove a good idea? I wish software companies would learn the millions of lessons out there and just wait. It's not as though Windows 7's launch was the week following Snow Leopard... it was months later.

MacMan

Partition Master
Snow Leopard was launched a a little over a month to beat Windows 7, as the early it did so, the better it made Apple look compared to Microsoft. As for the bug, out of the eight million plus Snow Leopard upgraders, less than 100 have been effected, but yet the media, to get hits, makes it appear that almost everyone was at risk! That comes out to less than .00001%!

Your probably right about Linux and OS X front end goes, however. I'm just not as experienced with Linux, even though I run it on my Macs from time to time. To me, at least on the surface they seem 99% the same, for the most part, which probably explains why I feel at home with Linux even though it's no where near as polished as OS X, which is no longer based on BSD, but is now a 100% certified Unix system!

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
MacMan said:
less than 100 have been effected

Not everyone who runs into a given issue is going to hop online to complain about it. I'd reckon that the real number is much, much higher than that. It's impossible to state that only 100 were affected... you can't monitor that kind of thing.

MacMan said:
Your probably right about Linux and OS X front end goes, however.

I am right... there's no two-ways about it. Everything on top of the kernel itself is either Apple's own, or KDE/GNOME's own... those are not shared. So if there's an issue with one, it's not going to affect the other. They don't share code where things like login managers and security libraries are concerned.

MacMan said:
To me, at least on the surface they seem 99% the same, for the most part, which probably explains why I feel at home with Linux even though it's no where near as polished as OS X, which is no longer based on BSD, but is now a 100% certified Unix system!

Of course, that's because both share the same base. My point is that on top of the base is the desktop manager and all of the applications along with all of the system resources. Those are not the same between OS X and Linux.

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
The Ars Technica article stated this bug also only occurs with users that migrated from previous versions of OS X without doing a full reinstall. Apparently something was changed in how guest accounts were handled, and migrating keeps the old guest account config if it was active.