Smart Monitoring Software

Krazy K

Partition Master
I can't get a temperature read from my drives using HD Tune or Everest. Can someone drop a name of another proggy to try to pick up these values? I just ordered a Cosmos 1000 and I want to establish some base lines.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
If neither drive spits out SMART information, then chances are good that it's disabled in the BIOS - so check there first. All SMART applications read the information from the same spot, so it's unlikely to be a software issue.

Krazy K

Partition Master
If neither drive spits out SMART information, then chances are good that it's disabled in the BIOS - so check there first. All SMART applications read the information from the same spot, so it's unlikely to be a software issue.

Yup. I disabled, robooted then re-enabled and still nothing. I swear that nothing I have works as advertised.

Krazy K

Partition Master
Oh well, I have a pre-paid RMA label from ASUS so I might as well use it. See you all in 3 weeks.

Krazy K

Partition Master
RMA label for...?
I have awakened the Soyo Dragon! I just couldn't leave you all for very long, who knows where the world would have ended up.

I got ASUS to send me a RMA label for the M2N-SLI deluxe. Which is going back a second time since Feb. HD tune, Everest and Speedfan were not getting any SMART data so it must have been the board. It flashed BIOS and ever did the 'factory defaults' and still couldn't get it to put out. ASUS won't let me trade the board so I get a like board back. I got a story about my silencer 750 too, just gotta find that thread.

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
Krazy K, you won't get SMART info if your drives are in RAID... you'd need an advanced RAID controller card to get that feature.

Krazy K

Partition Master
Right, but it wasn't giving me anything on my Raptor or the 750. I also talked to WD about using the SE16 drives in a RAID environment and they said don't. Now I have to sell these drives and buy more Raptors. I don't think my computer will ever be built either.

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
You might be missing my point. If you have drives in RAID, then the drive controller on your motherboard must be set in RAID mode. If this is the case, you will not get SMART data off any drives plugged into the chipset RAID controlled ports.

There's nothing "wrong" with using those drives in a RAID array. WD would of been better telling you what they meant is they aren't optimized or intended for it... most desktop consumer drives aren't, for example. Doesn't mean you can't though. ;)