Skulltrail Processor Details Rumored, Platform to Support Quad-SLI

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
From our front-page news:
Intel's upcoming Skulltrail platform has boarded the rumor train, with specific processor specs and prices. We knew that Skulltrail was going to be expensive, thanks to the fact that the motherboard is robust and that it will be equipped with specific processor SKUs, but these quotes are higher than even I expected. According to DigiTimes, that SKU will retail for $1,499, which I assume to mean in quantities of 1,000. The QX9775 processor will be clocked for 3.2GHz and support 1600FSB. Skulltrail is designed to handle two of these processors.

Also in related news, The Register is reporting that the platform will be capable of handling Quad-SLI. This shouldn't come as a surprise I suppose, considering the platform is being geared towards the asinine-high-end range. Throw in quad GTXs and 8GB of ram into a complete Skulltrail rig, and the prices are going to be... Well, if you have to ask, you couldn't handle the performance anyway. Or so I hear.

<table align="center"><tbody><tr><td> </td></tr></tbody></table>
Skulltrail will go on sale in Q1 2008 as the Intel D5400XS motherboard based on the company's as-yet-unlaunched 5400 workstation chipset, a leaked Intel presentation slide posted on Chinese-language site HKEPC reveals. Currently, Intel's top-of-the-line workstation chipset is the 5000X, which, like the 5400, supports up two CPUs. The 5400 primarily adds support for a 1600MHz frontside bus (FSB) frequency.

Source: DigiTimes (Skulltrail Pricing), The Register (Skulltrail Quad-SLI)