Simple escaping Vista feature

Krazy K

Partition Master
In XP you could sort objects by date modified, which was good for finding the most recent file created in a folder. Microsoft, with Vista assumed once again that the computer is smarter than the user but it never will be.

How can I bring back this feature of sort by date modified?

Last edited:

madmat

Soup Nazi
Right click on the folder, cruise to sort by, cruise to "more" and click that and it'll give you a bunch of other options with check boxes and modified is amongst them.

Krazy K

Partition Master
The only 'Mo' I have is Mood. For all I care they are all under the same mood, WHY ARE ALL THE IDIOTS IN MY CITY!

There's a lot of options, I'm guessing it's just called something else that would kinda make sense. I'll keep trying...

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
This is one of the biggest gripes I still have with Vista... it's aggravating. I often have to add 'Type' to the sort by options just so I can easier handle a folder. Even though I add it once, it never stays there, which is even more frustrating.

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
This is one of the biggest gripes I still have with Vista... it's aggravating. I often have to add 'Type' to the sort by options just so I can easier handle a folder. Even though I add it once, it never stays there, which is even more frustrating.
Also, If you are editing video with mp3's, you need to go into view Length, everytime, seems it won't save it or even less global

Merlin

madmat

Soup Nazi
The only 'Mo' I have is Mood. For all I care they are all under the same mood, WHY ARE ALL THE IDIOTS IN MY CITY!

There's a lot of options, I'm guessing it's just called something else that would kinda make sense. I'll keep trying...

You aren't following me. Right click in the body of the folder, go to sort by and in the options to sort by it says "More" at the bottom. Left click "More" and then you get the check boxes. You add "Modified" and it's in sort by the next time you right click. I know as I did it myself.

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
Actually, I think he did follow ya Madmat. :)

It is called "Date Modfied", so hit the "D" key and look under D. You'll find it there ;)

I gotta agree though... Vista never seems to apply my folder preferences to ALL folders... and routinely changes some folders but not others. No rhyme or reason. I'm not sure I'd want to meet the individual that came up with that brilliant idea.

Krazy K

Partition Master

The part about the idiots, I work for a city and I'm talking about the residents there. It not all you techy's here, just wanted to throw that out there in case.

madmat

Soup Nazi
That's cool man, I don't live anywhere near Awesomeville. Hell, I don't even live close to Coolsville, Fairville or even Mehcouldbebetterton.

Krazy K

Partition Master
That's cool man, I don't live anywhere near Awesomeville. Hell, I don't even live close to Coolsville, Fairville or even Mehcouldbebetterton.

They say don't shat where you eat. Well you'd better not live where you work.

And if you actually look up awesomeville on yahoo maps, please say so.