Signed up without consent at Battle.net

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Anyone ever have something like this happen?

blizzard.png

I searched the Web and it turns out that I am not alone, and all others who've had this happen also had the name 'zhang' registered. Does anyone else find it a little ridiculous that an account can be created at all without requiring activation? It's rather point blank here about an account being created, and an activation only being needed for additional functionality. It's a little stupid.

marfig

No ROM battery
Do the headers of the email show anything suspicious? Smells like phishing, instead.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Do the headers of the email show anything suspicious? Smells like phishing, instead.

It is indeed a legit e-mail. I checked the headers and one thing that looked out of place was mention of a 'wowadmin.net' domain, but I signed up on Battle.net using a toss-away e-mail, and sure enough, wowadmin.net is mentioned in that. Comparing the headers from each e-mail, there's just nothing different between what I received to my @gmail and what I saw when I signed up myself.

Here's the source:

http://pastebin.com/PePj7g23

OriginalJoeCool

Tech Monkey
Yeah, I'm curious to know if it's really battle.net .... I get so much of this crap I usually just ignore it. I got one from "Facebook" the other day apologizing for the non-existent trouble I was having with my account. I don't know if that was legitimate or not.

Oops, just noticed Rob's new post.

eunoia

Partition Master
I've gotten dozens of these verification emails and never even opened them because I'm pretty sure I haven't signed on to battle.net. Maybe a scam to eventually re-sell you the account attached to your email?