Serious Sam HD Gets a Serious Release Today

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
From our front-page news, seriously:
Over eight-and-a-half years ago, a very serious game developer released an even more serious game called Serious Sam: The First Encounter. It certainly wasn't unique because of its FPS likeness, but it was unique because the developer tossed a huge amount of humor in there and gave the player so much to kill, that you'd actually have to catch your breath every so often. It was intense.

Oddly enough, Serious Sam wasn't the first title released by the Croatian developer, but rather it was Football Glory. Yes, I'm serious. The first Serious Sam came years later in 2001, followed by "The Second Encounter" in 2002. And of course, you probably remember Serious Sam 2, which happened to be one of the first games I ever reviewed for the site. It brought fantastic graphics (even today they're more than acceptable), and even more humor and relentless action.

It's been four years since that game's release, so it's understandable that fans of the series are anticipating Serious Sam 3, which thankfully has been in development for a couple of years, but has an unknown release date. To hold everyone over, Croteam released a hilarious video this past summer that advertised Serious Sam HD, a game that's "more definitionier" and boasts performance of "6005 polygons per krundle."

In the video, you see people who've had to play the SD version of Serious Sam, and if you don't feel deep sorrow for them, then there's something seriously wrong with you. If you were a fan of the original, then this game is a must-buy, if not only to play through again in all its high-definitiony goodness. It's available today for the PC for $14.99 exclusively on Steam, with an Xbox Live Arcade version en route (date hasn't been announced). In celebration of the release, I'm going to be ultra-serious about everything I do for the rest of the day. Seriously.

serious_sam_hd_112409.jpg

The indie sensation Serious Sam: The First Encounter is reborn in glorious high- definition for legions of long-time fans and a whole new generation of gamers around the world. Featuring dazzling visuals and revamped design, gamers take control of the legendary Sam ‘Serious’ Stone as he is sent back through time to ancient Egypt to battle the overwhelming forces of Notorious Mental and the Sirian army.

Source: Serious Sam HD

Brett Thomas

Senior Editor
I love this game. :) I'll be downloading this fairly quickly - thanks for the heads-up, Rob!

It's one of the only TRUE FPS games that I actually enjoyed through and through, even playing more than once.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Yes, it's a true classic, that's for sure. I have it downloaded on Steam, but I didn't get a chance to give it a whirl yet. I'm hoping I'll be able to Wednesday night... I need my fix, seriously!