Selection? What selection?

2Tired2Tango

Tech Monkey
With gift giving day looming in the very near future I've been looking around for some bargains. As is my usual practice, I will catch a few items on sale and stick them in the closet so I can pass along the savings to my people later....

But...

It is just me or is the selection of computer accessories in most stores, really lousy this year?

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
For computer accessories... could be. Not been many new mice/keyboards of note, RAM prices have more than doubled in some instances, Intel's SSD's are still selling for $100 more than their MSRP and the Vertex isn't exactly cheap anymore. Even ATI's latest 5800/5900 cards are just barely starting to appear in places, the 5850 again above it's launched MSRP. This is more like the season's stealings than anything else!

But seriously all the fun stuff will be happening before May 2010... GT300, new update to Intel's SSDs, (supposedly) lower DDR3 prices, better availability and prices on ATI's cards, and perhaps more than just one hex-core CPU model...

About the only cheap thing right now are 24" displays, as over the last two weeks I've seen several major brands (Samsung being one of them) selling 24" 1080P displays for $199 before cashback...

2Tired2Tango

Tech Monkey
About the only cheap thing right now are 24" displays, as over the last two weeks I've seen several major brands (Samsung being one of them) selling 24" 1080P displays for $199 before cashback...

Yep, that's about the only bargain floating around my area... LCD prices have finally dropped to believable levels and, surprisingly, the quality seems to be holding. The ASUS and ACER lineups are favored in this area and there are some real bargains out there... but this is just normal price rolldown.

So far, with only days before "the big day", no real great sales to capitalize on.

Methinks this is going to be kind of a humdrum Christmas... computer wise.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Kougar said:
This is more like the season's stealings than anything else!

Haha, that is spot-on.

Kougar said:
Yep, that's about the only bargain floating around my area... LCD prices have finally dropped to believable levels and, surprisingly, the quality seems to be holding.

I agree... the quality of these LCDs is fantastic. 24" monitors used to be a luxury, but nowadays they're "just another monitor". People used to pay <em>way</em> more than this for a lot less.

I never go shopping unless I have to, so I have no idea what the situation is like. Our tech stores are usually lacking no matter what time of year it is.

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
Rob, you keep doing that when you quote people, that's the third or fourth time that I noticed... :D