Samsung YP-K3 2GB MP3 Player

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
If you are looking for a lightweight MP3 player, Samsung's K3 2GB or 4GB player is worth your consideration. It weighs just 200g, includes a bright OLED screen and proves simple to use.

You can read the full review here and discuss it here.

MacMan

Partition Master
Nice but....

If you are looking for a lightweight MP3 player, Samsung's K3 2GB or 4GB player is worth your consideration. It weighs just 200g, includes a bright OLED screen and proves simple to use.

I love Samsung; my main monitor is a Samsung; they are one of the best, but when it comes to the Samsung's K3, you have to be blind, not to see that the basic design is copied from the Nano.

In some ways though, I like it better, but it looks like a Nano minus the click wheel.

madmat

Soup Nazi
Everything is "copied" from something else. The nano looks like cigarette lighters that used to be around when I was a kid, the "eternal match" type that looked like a stretched out Zippo and had a porus metal wick with a striker on it and a small striker on the bottom or side of the lighter. The wick soaked in Ronsonol and you pulled it from the lighter, struck it and you had a match that could be reused thousands of times. It was inherently unsafe and disappeared from the market before the 80's rolled around.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
But did your lighter play hot songs? Haha, I kill me. :-\

As for the K3, no doubt it was copied from the Nano, or something else. It's pretty hard to differentiate an MP3 player, especially when you are getting that small. They all have buttons, and a screen. Not much you can do. Even if Samsung copied the Nano, they did a great job of de-homosexualizing it. I love the look of the K3, but can't stand the feminine look of the Nano.

U

Unregistered

I have a question, I've been trying to figure out for weeks how to add my playlist in there but it never works can someone help me?

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Hmm, I sent this back once the review was finished, so I can't test. I know you need to create the playlist on your PC though, and likely keep the .pls file within the folder that the music is in. You might want to try that, and a few other things. I am quite sure that the manual stated how to do it though...

U

Unregistered

Text file?

My quick start manual and this review (http://www.cnet.com.au/mp3players/mp3players/0,239036128,339274535,00.htm) stated that the K3 can display text files (well, the quick start guide only hinted...). The manual was quiet on it, though.

I've tried dragging and dropping a text file into the K3 via both Windows Explorer and the Media Studio, and it still doesn't work. When I try to see if the text file will be stored somewhere in the player, the text file is automatically deleted. o_O

Help, please?

U

Unregistered

The North American version of the K3 is castrated and useless; MTP only, no customizable EQ and no text file option.

You need to do some searching around the web to find a way to upgrade to the 4.03 / 4.06 Korean firmwares that have all those options. The best part abou the 4.xx firmware is it changes it from MTP -> UMS.

U

Unregistered

I wish I could work out how to make the music sit in folders rather than one huge block in my player.

I don't want to have to make a playlist for every group of songs I have.

I have difficulty listening to techno followed by part 4 of a book on tape.

Really gives me the irrits.

U

Unregistered

Problem with this MP3

Hello,

I just receive a Samsung YP-K3 2GB MP3 Player.
I read the user guide and I followed up the instructions, I charged the MP3 4 hours but unfortunately I was not able to start to see the menu etc.
I suppose that even if my pc is not very good, is not compatible with the standards as it is requested by the MP3 at least I should be able to open it and check the menu.

Could you please advice?
Thank you very much

U

Unregistered

"Failed to transfer files to the portable device"

Okay so I have a problem:

Files cannot be transferred to or from the portable device into the PC area.

The portable device is recognized, files can be ripped from a CD and stored on the desktop computer, but it will not work. Files can be renamed on the desktop computer and dragged into the PC area but will not transfer onto portable device.

I keep receiving the error message of "Failed to transfer files to the portable device" at the 90% mark of the file being ripped. It seems to not be coverting the files at all when attempting to transfer to portable device.

This process has worked in the past and nothing has changed on the desktop PC.

Unplugged the device from the USB, plugged it back in. No change.

Stopped Samsung media player and restarted. No change.

Did a warm boot and cold boot on the desktop. No change.

Also checked My documents/My music to check file was being ripped to correct filepath and ripped correctly, and it was. Also checked environmental variables and nothing is out of the ordinary.

Itunes is on the current PC, but all Itunes programs are stopped from running in the background before Samsung media player is opened.

Space left on device is approx. .70GB... only trying to add 8 more songs!

Please help!

Email back to ASAP:
firetrials @ hot mail dot com

Thx!

-Carolyn :)

U

Unregistered

same here...i have the same problem

i have the same situation as carolyn.when ripping,the trasfer stops at about 88% of the task.yet it has been successful with the prior 12 cd's!!
help
phil

Okay so I have a problem:

Files cannot be transferred to or from the portable device into the PC area.

The portable device is recognized, files can be ripped from a CD and stored on the desktop computer, but it will not work. Files can be renamed on the desktop computer and dragged into the PC area but will not transfer onto portable device.

I keep receiving the error message of "Failed to transfer files to the portable device" at the 90% mark of the file being ripped. It seems to not be coverting the files at all when attempting to transfer to portable device.

This process has worked in the past and nothing has changed on the desktop PC.

Unplugged the device from the USB, plugged it back in. No change.

Stopped Samsung media player and restarted. No change.

Did a warm boot and cold boot on the desktop. No change.

Also checked My documents/My music to check file was being ripped to correct filepath and ripped correctly, and it was. Also checked environmental variables and nothing is out of the ordinary.

Itunes is on the current PC, but all Itunes programs are stopped from running in the background before Samsung media player is opened.

Space left on device is approx. .70GB... only trying to add 8 more songs!

Please help!

Email back to ASAP:
firetrials @ hot mail dot com

Thx!

-Carolyn :)

U

Unregistered

The Music wont play

Alrite..
before when i had this samsung yp-k3
the music was playing fine
then
some time after on
i was trying to transfer my music on samsung...to my pc...
and it says i cant transfer coz samsung is not responding or have disconnected when it was still in my PC...
then i turned on Samsung YP-K3 then i tried listening to my music and it just stays at stop...
if I try to press the play button it still is on stop?
can ya any1 please help me?

-Thxx

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
Am I correct in that you can't remove the battery from that player?

I'd try removing the battery and trying a different computer, but honestly it sounds like the flash memory or something else in the device failed.

U

Unregistered

I have it and like it, but ...

I'm technically challenged. I have a 3 CD set of the opera Don Giovanni and have ripped it and put it on my Samsung. But Disc 1 and Disc 2 are 'interlaced', track for track. Is there a way to sort the tracks now? What do you suggest? I have windows media player, and maybe a few other programs that I have not tried to use. Thanks for any help. June

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I'm technically challenged. I have a 3 CD set of the opera Don Giovanni and have ripped it and put it on my Samsung. But Disc 1 and Disc 2 are 'interlaced', track for track. Is there a way to sort the tracks now? What do you suggest? I have windows media player, and maybe a few other programs that I have not tried to use. Thanks for any help. June

Are the discs in separate folders? One thing to make sure is that they are properly tagged. Make sure the track numbers are in the filename and also in the ID3 tag... that can be done with your MP3 player.

I have had the same issue with my Sansa and am unsure if I actually ever fixed it. The workaround might be creating a playlist, but I forget how difficult that is on the Samsung.