Samsung Ships Two Kick-Ass Mobile Drives At Once

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
From our front-page news:
Sure, we all know that being mobile is fantastic, but not so fantastic is the limited storage space we are left to deal with. Or, if we do have a lot of space, it tends to be slow. Well, Samsung takes care of both of these problems at the same time.

First and foremost, the 2.5-inch 500GB drive is drool-worthy in every regard. Hitachi first released a 500GB offering in early January, but the problem was it's larger physical size. It was unable to fit in 100% of SATA-capable notebooks out there, an obvious problem. This Samsung drive suffers no such flaw. Though the rated RPM is a somewhat slower 5400, the drive is still top-of-the-class all around. It will cost $299 once available.

If speed is your bag, then Samsung's own 250GB takes care of you. It not only offers a whack of hard drive space, it does so while still delivering fast 7200RPM speeds and a super-large 16MB cache. Pricing is unavailable... but hopefully they prove reasonable enough to be outfitted in gaming and multi-media notebooks all over. It's going to be one sweet offering.

<table align="center"><tbody><tr><td>
samsung_dual_harddrive_launches_030508.jpg

</td></tr></tbody></table>
The disk also eliminates many of the bottlenecks that affect any notebook drive with an extra-large 16MB cache and a Serial ATA II connection for added headroom during burst transfers. Samsung also implements quiet seeking technology and noise isolation that renders the drive quiet compared to past hard drives.

Source: Electronista

Tech-Daddy

Tech Monkey
Reduced heat... reduced noise... I do not know *why* these drives have not been incorporated into the SFF systems as of late.

I actually have a shuttle mod in my head incorporating these little boogers into the design, just relocating the storage to a non standard place. These drives are PERFECT for that!

sbrehm72255

Tech Monkey
Reduced heat... reduced noise... I do not know *why* these drives have not been incorporated into the SFF systems as of late.

I actually have a shuttle mod in my head incorporating these little boogers into the design, just relocating the storage to a non standard place. These drives are PERFECT for that!

I think the reason they aren't incorporated into SFF desktop PC's is mainly due to the high price of the things, and along with the fact that in the past they were much slower and hadhave limited storage space when compared to standard DT drives.

Tech-Daddy

Tech Monkey
Yeah.... but to an entusiast builder putting together a decent HTPC, looking for low noise and low heat... I've not read of that many peeps using them. Granted, you'll still have the 1TB pr0n library disk, but at least this way you can cut down on the 2 3.5" drives baking each other... :)

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
Now I would be interested in the 250 gig drive for my work notebook.

It WAS called a laptop till the same lady at McDonald who got burned on coffee, got her lap burned on a laptop so they changed it to Notebook.
Merlin

sbrehm72255

Tech Monkey
Yeah.... but to an entusiast builder putting together a decent HTPC, looking for low noise and low heat... I've not read of that many peeps using them. Granted, you'll still have the 1TB pr0n library disk, but at least this way you can cut down on the 2 3.5" drives baking each other... :)

I guess they would come in handy in a high-end HTPC when you're looking for complete silence..............:D But there are a few other new 5400 standard drives out that run fairly cool these days at a better (cheaper) price...........:)

I guess I'm just a cheap old bastard that's always looking for the best deal he can get.