Rovio Entertainment Acquires Futuremark Games Studio

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Well, here's some news that's come out of left field. Rovio Entertainment, creators of the ultra-popular Angry Birds series, has acquired Futuremark Game Studios, the gaming side-arm of the popular benchmark tool creator Futuremark (not that self-explanatory, I know). In an e-mail sent to us, Futuremark stated:

futuremark_games_studio_032312.jpg

Read the rest of our post and then discuss it here!

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
Kind of a head scratcher but interesting. It will be interesting to see what fruits grow out of this acquisition.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
It is a head-scratcher. It seemed that Futuremark enjoyed having a game studio so it's a little bizarre to see the company offload it after just a couple of years. It's even stranger that Rovio picked them up, because while FGS did have a couple of mobile games out there, I don't think they ever really made a name for themselves.

Either way, probably a good thing in the end for fans of Futuremark and likely Futuremark itself.

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
Anyone else reading too fast and thinking Roxio there? Makes about as much sense either way.... :D

But naw, Futuremark never took off with its three games like they'd hoped. And since Angry Birds have now moved into space... I'm sure the devs will be wanting to make bigger and better games in the future.

marfig

No ROM battery
If someone told me Justin Bieber was going to buy a second-hand music store, I'd probably be more interested than I am right now.

Mediocrity attracts mediocrity, and there's gobs of money to be had.

EDIT: Oh man! Did I just called a second-hand music store something mediocre? :(
*flogs himself*

Last edited:

Brett Thomas

Senior Editor
Anyone else reading too fast and thinking Roxio there? Makes about as much sense either way.... :D

Hahahah...YES! I actually had to really slow down for a second because I thought, "How did Roxio make Angry birds?! What?! At least they finally made up for EZ CD Creator.... Oh, wait...V...Not X..."

Still, what a seemingly random acquisition...