RIP CPL....

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
Wow, neither did I! Surprised me almost as much as hearing they were shutting down...

Tech-Daddy

Tech Monkey
I'm wondering if this will mean more sponsors and interest in participation for Quakecon! Usually happened a few weeks after CPL. And, IMHO, was a better event in that it was free admission and was a huge glorified LAN party with gaming competitions.

You guys should come down!
;)

sbrehm72255

Tech Monkey
I'm still wanting to head down that way, the wife and I both have family in the area (including a few Ex's) yes all Ex's live in Texas.

Only issue stopping us is cash flow really, but with any luck we might beable to swing it this year thanks to the tax rebate, time will tell though.

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
I have planned for the past 2 years to head down to Quakecon but never have been able to actually make it.

As for the CPL, I hope a few more organizations go under and the entire idea comes back better than what is offered right now. I can't help but laugh when I see CS:S contests where there are 4 or 5 man teams battling it out with a "coach" behind them randomly yelling at the contestants. Thats them trying to look legit and it's absolute rubbish if you ask me.

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
As for the CPL, I hope a few more organizations go under and the entire idea comes back better than what is offered right now. I can't help but laugh when I see CS:S contests where there are 4 or 5 man teams battling it out with a "coach" behind them randomly yelling at the contestants. Thats them trying to look legit and it's absolute rubbish if you ask me.

There certainly doesn't seem to be any shortage of them, that's for sure. I had heard of CPL, but I don't bother following any of them. It would be rather self-defeating to have a coach yelling at them, besides the distraction, trying to listen to him, and his yelling completely drowning out telltale sounds that any serious gamer relies upon to know what is going on behind them and around them it sounds like it was ALL show... :eek:

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I never knew too much about CPL either, but it's too bad that one of the originating gaming leagues had to close shop. I think holding events like this is becoming a lot easier for the masses, which is why there is so much competition. If CPL shuts down, it wouldn't be surprising to see some of their competitors (whoever they were) follow suit in the months or year to come.

Bring on the LAN parties... serious competition is not needed to have fun.