Rare NES Cartridge Sells for $21,400

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Nintendo World Championship 1990 is a special edition cartridge containing versions of Nintendo's Super Mario Bros., Square's Rad Racer, and Alexey Pajitnov's Tetris, the three NES games used in the Nintendo World Championship. Ninety gray cartridges were manufactured for semi-finalists, while 26 gold cartridges--similar to the well known gold Legend of Zelda cartridges--were manufactured for the winners of a Nintendo Power contest. The cartridge sold in this week's auction is one of the incredibly rare gold units. Gray copies of the game have previously sold for several thousands of dollars.

Link

:eek:

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
Not one word was mentioned about the seller's tragic reason for selling the games. 21 grand is more than I paid for each and everyone of my cars. Combined.

Anyone want to buy the NOID game off of me?

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Did you miss the part where the article stated, "According to the auction description, the 24 games belonged to the seller's son, who died during military service in Iraq."?

NOID, heh. I wish I had a few of my old NES carts, but luckily enough they sell for > $10 on eBay, not $21,000.

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
I was talking about the sites that commented on the story, like ShackNews and us. I read the part about the gentleman's son.