RAM for Asus Maximus Formula?

BoySCouT

E.M.I.
Good, bad, or indifferent, I have decided on getting an Asus Maximus Formula motherboard for my new upgrade. I will be putting in an Intel Q6600 G0 and I have been reading that it's ideal to put in 1066 MHz memory (1:1) which is PC2-8500, correct? What's so important about the 1:1 ratio?

I am thinking of Corsair or OCZ but not sure which flavor to get from each of the manufacturers. I want to put in 4 GB of RAM, do I have to put 4x1GB sticks in or can I get 2x2GB sticks (depends on what they offer I suppose)? I have looked at the memory recommended by Asus for the Maximus Formula. Anyone using the Maximus Formula? Could you recommend memory for this mb? Thanks.

BoySCouT

E.M.I.
Forgot to mention that I am running Vista Ultimate (32-bit). I also have the 64-bit version. I just read where vista 32 can't go above 3 GB. Can the 64 version recognize 4 GB of RAM?

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
32-bit OS' can only recognize 4GB of RAM or less... normally 3.5GB or 3.0GB, so for a full 4GB to function properly, you will need the 64-bit OS. As for recommendations, either Corsair or OCZ will treat you well. For the best performance, I'd recommend 4x1GB, because they are able to use tighter timings. I'd recommend purchasing four sticks of DDR2-1066 (PC2-8500) with 4-4-4-12 timings. If you are going to go with 2x2GB, don't go higher than 5-5-5-15.

1:1 is not THAT important in the grand scheme of things, but it is better in theory to have the RAM working at the same speed as the Northbridge (CPU FSB).

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
It's been a while since I've used DDR2, it seems. CL5 is the most common, and it's not bad. If you want tighter latencies without overclocking, stick to DDR2-800 speeds. Here are a few sticks I recommend if you don't mind overclocking to hit CL4 at DDR2-1066.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227181
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148070
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148069
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820146677

I'd stick to any of those, they should treat you well. To overclock any of those kits to CL4, I highly recommend a RAM fan, like this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835202003

Even if you don't plan to overclock at all, stick with CL5 and get 4 sticks of DDR2-1066 and you will be happy.

BoySCouT

E.M.I.
I decided to go with 4 GB of the Corsair XMS2 PC2-8500C5 1066 MHZ from ZipZoomFly. $88 a pair after rebate. Timings are 5-5-5-15. Not sure if this RAM is very overclockable or not?

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
It should be fairly overclockable, although I wouldn't worry about increasing the frequency. I'd get a RAM fan and pump the voltage to 2.2v or 2.3v and see if 4-4-4-15 is possible. If it isn't, don't stress it. It's still a great setup.

BoySCouT

E.M.I.
Rob,

I'm ready to overclock the memory. Would I go into the BIOS and set the timings manually to 4-4-4-15 or 4-4-4-12? Voltage is currently at 2.1V. How will I know if I'm stressing the memory or if it is good? Thanks.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Go into the BIOS and manually set those settings. Just make sure you set the correct ones.

CAS or CL = 4
tRP = 4
tRCD = 4
tRAS = 12

For 4-4-4 though, you will probably need to drop the frequency to 400MHz (DDR2-800)... I can't see DDR2-1066 being stable with those voltages. The voltages that would likely be required, are not ones I'd recommend.

You might first want to try 4-5-5-12 at DDR2-800 with 2.1v and see where that gets you. Just don't be afraid if the computer doesn't reboot. If it crashes, turn it off completely and then power it back on.

BudSMoke

Obliviot
If you look at page 2-17 of the manual it says that:

This Motherboard does not support memory modules made up of 128M Chips.

What exactly does this mean. I bought 2 Corsair CGM2x2G800 chips.

Each dimm is 2GB. It looks to me like there are 8 chips on each side of the DIMM. If you do the math thats 128Meg per chip.... Does this mean I'm screwed? If so I can't find any 2GB dimms that don't have 16 chips (8 on one side 8 on the other) anywhere.:confused:

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
That doesn't make too much sense to me, since the board supports 8GB of RAM. No single-sided 2GB sticks likely exist, because it's not sensible. That means each chip has 2x density, and as a result, would be more expensive, and probably also slightly less-efficient.

You might want to check the support site for BIOS' updates and see what was taken care of since the board first came out.

BudSMoke

Obliviot
I know, I'm wondering if ASUS made a typo because there seems to be alot of confusion about this on several forums

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Did you happen to see if there was a newer version of their manual on their support site? It would have updated information like that. Even still though, I cannot conceivably see why they wouldn't work, and I'm quite confident they will. The chipset supports it, and so I don't see why it would be a problem. They would work on all comparable motherboards.