Radiohead Fans Can Choose Price For New Album

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
From our front-page news:
The music industry has stepped on people for far too long, and it's not only the customer who is affected. Radiohead is taking a stand, and advantage of the fact that they have no current contract with any record label. Their latest album, In Rainbows, which has been in the works for over two years, will be released only through the official album site.

Interestingly, if you wish to purchase a downloadable version of the album, you are the one whose left in choosing a price. This is a solid idea since fans will obviously not feel right by ripping off one of their favorite bands and also attempts to prove a point to the music industry. We need to see more of this... a lot more.

<table align="center"><tbody><tr><td>
radiohead_100107.jpg
</td></tr></tbody></table>
This is major, and it's such a slap in the record industry's face. An unsigned superband, treating loyal fans and customers like loyal fans and customers instead of thieves -- what a revolutionary concept.

Source: Boing Boing

NicePants42

Partition Master
That's freaking awesome. I am going to be all over this - they're a great band and this is a very interesting and brave move on their part. They also gave me my CounterStrike name several years ago: Bulletproof. . .I Wish I Was. I've been using that name since, like, 2002.

Last edited:

Enigmachine

Obliviot
As if any further proof of Radiohead's brilliance was needed! :D

Although... I might download the album first to see if it's any good before I'll buy it. :) Some of their newer stuff has been... ah... unfortunate. :confused:

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
I will gladly give them the going price for a new album, if only to add my pittance to the total amount that they are inevitably are going to make. Take that RIAA.

GameMasterNick

Coastermaker
TheFEED said:
A completed cyber transaction showed the album can be bought for as little as one pence (2 cents), plus a 45 pence charge for using a credit or debit card.

Ohh, so that's what they mean by putting your 2 cents in. :p

TheFEED said:
A CD version will also be issued and has some cool incentives too, such as a bonus enhanced CD with other songs, artwork and photographs that comes in hardback-book style packaging with a slip case. The price is £40 for the “discbox,” which will ship around December 3.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Ahh, more updates:
We posted earlier this month that Radiohead's newest album, "In Rainbows", would be offered to fans at prices they set. There were no limits... fans could actually download the album and not pay a dime. This was an impressive move and one that would effectively give the recording industry a good kick in the pants. Well, almost.

You'd imagine though, that with an album being released for free, no one would have a problem with acquiring it legally. As it turns out, that's not true at all. Although Radiohead pushed 1.2 million sales through their website, 100,000 each day (500,000 total to date) have been acquired through P2P networks. This could be taken a few different ways. A) Pirates have no idea about the legal offering, B) Pirates find it easier to acquire it through sites they already visit, without being nagged for information or C) Pirates love "stickin' it to the man". My bets on C.

<table align="center"><tbody><tr><td>
radiohead_100107.jpg
</td></tr></tbody></table>
While the numbers may seem drastic, it’s really more a tale of how late to the game the music industry has been. Piracy networks have been growing over the past couple of years, despite the industry’s declared “war” on illegal file sharing. The networks have grown into easy-to-use distribution methods for digital music — even easier than what Radiohead offered. Users could easily grab “In Rainbows” while downloading music from other artists.

Source: TechCrunch