Quick Impressions of openSUSE 11.3

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
About two weeks ago, the openSUSE Project released version 11.3 of its popular Linux distribution, and after putting it off for quite a while, I decided to give the latest version a download and see what SUSE has been up to. After all, the last time I took a serious look at SUSE (over four years ago!), it still went by "SuSE"... yes, it's been quite a while. So far, my initial impressions of the latest version are quite good.

opensuse_113_072610_thumb.jpg

Read the rest of our news post here and discuss it here!

madstork91

The One, The Only...
My quick impression is that you need to share the BG. Not sharing the BG with people = ninjas killing kittens who act cute; a world without which is just a little bit darker.

GFreeman

Coastermaker
I just found this pretty GUI (E17 desktop). I'm not sure you are able to install it in SUSE. I've always found SUSE a very complete Linux package. It's easy to use as well.

Okay have a look at the screenshot that I found :)

http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/4176/pantallazomp4.png

It's incredible too you can actually run your company largely on open source applications and you aren't missing much at all. Even gaining on the stability front if it's once configured properly. I believe this is the future. It's flexible and there's a very big community behind it.

Last edited:

GFreeman

Coastermaker
I especially like the installing software control panel in SUSE. You can easily search and download applications and install them automatically. This makes Linux much more easy to use for the normal end user.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
As far as I'm aware, all of the popular desktop environments are available in openSUSE, including Enlightenment (E17). To be honest though, as nice as some of those environments are, I just can't get used to them due to their minimalist goals. I'm not a fan of bloat, but I've come to like KDE quite a bit. I can set it up to look good, and not feel quite so bloated, and for the most part, I like the Windows way of doing things, with a taskbar on bottom, "Start" menu, etc.

To be honest, the software installer in openSUSE is one thing I'm not that keen on. The first problem is that there just isn't near as much software available for download/install as there are in other repositories, but that leads me to the second issue... there is a lot of software available, haha. Confused? The reason is because you have to go manually add repositories in order to get a wide-range of software, and for the normal (novice) Linux user, that's not going to be a common-sense move to make. Bluefish, a very popular HTML editor wasn't even available from the get go, so I ended up having to find the RPM online and install it that way.

I can understand the fact that not all of the software I'd want would be available in YaST, but it's still a stark contrast to say Ubuntu, where a lot of it is, and Gentoo, where most of it is.

The YaST software installer itself is good though, and it hasn't caused me any issues in all the installations I've performed. It's just the lack of initial software that kind of perplexes me.