Quake 4 Demo

madmat

Soup Nazi
I just finished playing the Quake 4 demo and my thoughts are man, another murky shooter, how original.

I wish they could make a game you can actually see wtf is happening. Is there some rule stating that id games have to be dimly lit and as clear as mud?

Other than the dimness it's pretty cool.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Did you not play Quake I or II? Or Doom I or II? They were both dark and dim, it's an addition to the experience.. it's supposed to be scary.

I guess it's just iD's way.

madmat

Soup Nazi
FarCry wasn't this murky yet it still managed to pull off some very good scares. You'd think that after all the bad press D3 got for being just another dark shooter id would've tried something else.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Quake is not FarCry. Quake IS a dark and murky game.

The last thing we need are 'more' foiled game series. I'm glad they didn't change a thing.

madmat

Soup Nazi
I'm glad you like it, all I can say is if the rest of the game is like this I'll spend any money I had earmarked for this game on something else. I like being able to see what I'm shooting at.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
That's fine, but not what Quake is about :p

That's like turning Need For Speed into a flight sim.

madmat

Soup Nazi
Get this, I turned the brightness up in the game to help get it to where you could actually tell if you were shooting good guys or bad guys and the game crashed, after it crashed it hosed the gamma for my vid drivers and I had to reboot to get the gamma back to where it was supposed to be. I'm just glad it didn't hose the drivers completely.

Like I said though, if it wasn't for the feeling of feeling like I was trying to play with a garbage bag pulled over my head I'd really enjoy it, the gameplay is top notch, what you can see is very purdy but damn, I just like to actually see what I'm doing.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Yeah, I had the gamma problem before. I didn't find it *that* difficult to play. Your monitor has to be messed or something.

madmat

Soup Nazi
When you're up close to the NPC's you can tell no problem but when they're off at a distance and in shadows it's hard to tell unless it's the uber big baddy, the others pass for human until they unload on you.

Yes my monitor is messed up but not in a brightness/contrast way, I've calibrated it using the THX calibration tool and those settings are spot on.

Buck-O

Coastermaker
madmat said:
When you're up close to the NPC's you can tell no problem but when they're off at a distance and in shadows it's hard to tell unless it's the uber big baddy, the others pass for human until they unload on you.

Yes my monitor is messed up but not in a brightness/contrast way, I've calibrated it using the THX calibration tool and those settings are spot on.

Well, thats part of the fog of war. You never know what your up against untill you "see the whites in their eyes" so to speak.

I think graphically Quake 4 was great. I think teh usage of lighting was quite nicely done. In fact probibly some of the better lighting out there.

The lighting really helped to get the feel of gamplay up to level where it really felt creepy, and given teh circumstances, creepy is a bit of an understatement.

But really, if you dont really like dark creepy lighting, you should seriously stop playing games now. Becuase dynamic lighting, dynamic shadows, and now with new High Dynamic Range lighting effects, games will center heavily on those features to enhance gameplay. You can bet that iD's new engine will focus on it. HL2 now supports it. The soont o come UT engine supports it. And almost all of the current crop of XBox 360 titles support it. Along with new games like F.E.A.R. that rely HEAVILY on lighting and shadows, to OVERLY enhance the horror of it.

So, just some food for thought on dark lighting in games.

As for Q4 itself....single player is preaty basic, and bland, unless you like the QUake2 story line. In which case forget it. However...the multiplayer is spot on, and pays completely differnt then the physics of single player. Feeling more like Q3 mixed with UT then Q2-morphed to DooM3. And with the option for modability, you can bet there will be some sweet looking mods to come from Q4. that along makes it worth the price of admission IMHO.

madmat

Soup Nazi
There are tons of games that don't rely on B-horror lighting effects to build tension or to show off fancy lighting effects so, no, I have no plans to stop playing games any time soon.

I haven't played fear sp, just mp and the lighting in mp is great but in q3 arena it was still pretty dark but not nearly as bad as doom 3 or q4 single player.

I haven't played the first 2 quake titles but I was a huge fan of doom and it wasn't dark at all but naturally, it was an 8 bit game.

madmat

Soup Nazi
I finally got to play it with the brightness cranked up and it's not too bad but I just wish that all weapons had a flashlight since you're either sporting ther nailgun that kicks some serious bootay but you're blind as a bat in some places or the machine gun which lets you get a really good view of what ragdoll physics look like from the ragdoll's perspective ;)

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Yeah, more guns should have a flashlight, but there's really no place to mount them. I love the machine gun anyway, it's a damn sweet weapon.