Q9450 temps

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
I just installed a beautiful Q9450 but have a question on the temps. With a Zalman 9700, temps are kept low, between 34 and 38 celcius, but under heavy load (benchmarking, gaming, temps hop up on one core considerably higher than the other three. I was seeing 48C last night on one core (core0) while the other three stay about 7 degrees cooler. Is this normal and should I be concerned?

On a better note, I saw 3.4 GHz stable for a couple of hours (only time I had to play around) on 1.3v. Made me happy.

Thanks guys.

Last edited:

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
I didn't consider that... BUT, when all are loaded, there is still a rather large difference. All temps are still well within a reasonable limit but I am just curious.

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
I have and I will capture some screens tonight to give you all an idea of what I am seeing.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Congrats on the purchase... that's a wicked processor. As for temps, the first and second will generally be warmer than the third and fourth, by a few degrees, but I really wouldn't worry about it.

I am assuming your house is much cooler than mine, and with a great CPU cooler like that, your temps are going to be very reasonable to begin with. Under full load, you are hitting 50C, which I consider to be fantastic. With the Skulltrail rig here, I hit about 75C at full load... and it's normally almost just as bad with a single CPU machine as well.

As long as performance is on par with what you should be expecting, I wouldn't worry about it. Just enjoy the thing ;-)

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
I was assuming that. The Zalman keeps things in check rather well. Performance is well in line with what I was expecting and in the few multi-threaded programs that I use, it's been a a nice addition.

Your 75C story truly puts things into perspective. I try to keep the house around 75 degrees, sometimes a little cooler when I am not feeling so cheap but with the door to my office closed, the room can get warm but I have still only seen temps > 50 degrees twice.

I guess I will stop worrying and enjoy the new PC.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
You are confusing Celsius with Fahrenheit, I think. I mean 75C, not 75F, which would be around 25C.

But that said, your temps are well within reason. For them to keep under 50C with full load is fantastic, so I wouldn't even think twice about it. Seems that CPU cooler is a perfect match for the beast.

Remember also, I've had both the QX6850 and QX9650 hit well over 100C, and both are still alive today ;-)

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
You are confusing Celsius with Fahrenheit, I think. I mean 75C, not 75F, which would be around 25C.

But that said, your temps are well within reason. For them to keep under 50C with full load is fantastic, so I wouldn't even think twice about it. Seems that CPU cooler is a perfect match for the beast.

Remember also, I've had both the QX6850 and QX9650 hit well over 100C, and both are still alive today ;-)

Confused I am not. I just happen to keep the house at the same number as you see your proc, just different units of measure. I was stating that my office sometimes gets warm. Love and kittens...

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Confused I am not. I just happen to keep the house at the same number as you see your proc, just different units of measure. I was stating that my office sometimes gets warm. Love and kittens...

Ok, I thought you were confusing the units of measure. I knew you could handle warm heat, but I figured 75C as a house temp was a little over the top ;)

Metatron

Obliviot
As long as we're talking the q9450 and heat . I was thinking about getting the chip for my new computer. I wanna overclock it to 3.2 Ghz and was wondering what kinda cooling I'm gonna need to do that, Air Liquid.. stock??