Power Supply

Will Nave

E.M.I.
Ok, since I recieved my new case (thanks to Logisys and Techgage!) I have decided to go ahead and start building an epileptic's nightmare of a PC. I'm looking for suggestions on Power Supplies and supplemental lighting effects as well. I would really like to find a clear or windowed Power Supply to compliment the transparency of the case, but I'm willing to consider modding one myself to forgo best value. Please reply with suggestions and vendors, including prices if you could... When it comes to the Power Supply I'm gonna try and stay in the $50 range for now, not too much higher.

Here are some I'm looking at for the time being:

Muddy

Obliviot
i woudlnt recomend modding ur own its kinda dangerous. U can look at an X-Connect which looks nice and performs decently.

Will Nave

E.M.I.
Well, I understand it is kinda dangerous... but you can purchase UV reactive enclosures and other accesories, and as long as it has not been juiced up for awhile the capacitors should hold no charge at purchase. Still, I agree it is dangerous, but as long as I didn't play inside I think I'd be ok.

Tech-Daddy

Tech Monkey
Modding the external structures on a power supply is safe, as long as you follow up on the knowledge that you already have (work on it out of the box and the caps will be depleated and the risk of shock will be significantly reduced.

Ultra PS's will be UV reactive. I can speak from experience on the bottom two PS's from New Egg, those are not UV reactive, but would be relatively easy to make them so. THe full acrylic is pre-sleeved (big bonus) as long as the blue sleeving is what you were wanting. If it will not match your color selection then yo uare looking at stripping and resleeving all that stuff (not fun).

I own the second (middle) power supply except all of my power leads were sleeved. It has been a good unit. I have not gone in and tested it with regards to voltages and such, but the machine it is in has been stable... so that is all I have asked of it.

But... for your acrylic case... some designs to keep in mind, that thing is a blank canvas. Let me drop an inspirational mod across your lap, and maybe it will pop a few ideas into your head!

The project is "Must Kill Teddy Bears..."

I hope you find it as inspiring as I did.
:eek:

Will Nave

E.M.I.
Oh great... now I have to start looking for Vinyl and exacto knives...

Actually, masking tape, exacto knives, and UV Reactive paint might be interesting...

Last edited:

Kilamon

E.M.I.
Will Nave said:
Ok, since I recieved my new case (thanks to Logisys and Techgage!) I have decided to go ahead and start building an epileptic's nightmare of a PC. I'm looking for suggestions on Power Supplies and supplemental lighting effects as well. I would really like to find a clear or windowed Power Supply to compliment the transparency of the case, but I'm willing to consider modding one myself to forgo best value. Please reply with suggestions and vendors, including prices if you could... When it comes to the Power Supply I'm gonna try and stay in the $50 range for now, not too much higher.
I have a new 600w Ultra power supply that's windowed, blue polished, and blue LED fans if you're interested. I got it thinking it was the XConnect and it wasn't. :confused: drop me an email at greyk@dim.com. I'm looking to sell it for $70 + 10 s/h which, for a lighted power supply at 600 watts, is dirt cheap.