POrtal "modern masterpiece"

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
Oh Yes,
Love Portal....but I'm stuck on 17
That sexy little voice that lures you into a death trap.
Kind of like getting married....eh?

Merlin ( staying single )

Last edited:

NicePants42

Partition Master
That article makes a few too many assumptions. While the overall premise is accurate, I think the author digs a little too deep in an effort to find feminism at every turn.

In particular, I was never under the impression that the cube was a male entity. The author suggests that man is the default loving (hearts) 'companion' to woman, but since the cube was completely inanimate, it's just as easy to assume that the cube is 'mother', 'sister' or 'daughter', especially since the game puts so little emphasis on the sex of the protagonist.

Given what's been written of Portal's back story, (GLadOS malfunctioned years ago on bring-your-daughter-to-work day) I tend to think that the cube is meant to be either a playmate or a parent, not a sexual partner.

Also, while GLaDOS may "come to represent man's attempt to construct an idealized mother figure through the cold logic of science", I feel I should note that GLaDOS wasn't programmed to be a mother figure. As I understand it GLaDOS is simply trying to mimic what she's seen of human parenting (bring-your-daughter-to-work day) in an effort to control her test subjects - the cake is the most obvious example.

As for portals representing female sex organs, I'll leave that one alone.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I get turned off by fads... when something comes out and people obsess over it for months. I can't recall how many cube / cake jokes I've seen since it's release. I feel like I've already beat the game.

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
Fads like Abercrombie and Fitch?

World in Conflict is where its at now! And yes, Portal is great. I don't think it's the second coming of Christ like most would like you to believe but it is a damned good game.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Ouch.

I am not sure wearing A&F is buying into a fad, per se. I don't go about and throw off A&F puns all over the place or whore them out in the news, or write a fan poem/song about them... That said, perhaps I do buy into fads not knowingly. I guess it's the real BIG ones that annoy me.

Maybe I just don't have a sense of humor like I used to, but seeing the same "jokes" in the news for months rubs me the wrong way (If I hear another "will it play Crysis?", I might freak).

If there is one thing I'm a fanboi of, it's Heineken. I'll admit that.

b1lk1

Tech Monkey
Portal is a great game but it was far too short. I wish they would release an update or something. I'd gladly pay for a Portal 2.