Portal for Mac Compared to PC Version

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Earlier this week, Valve ended the long-standing drought of game titles available for the Mac by introducing a native Steam client for the OS, along with 56 different games. The company promises to release a slew of new titles each Wednesday for the next few, so it will be interesting to see just how fast this list will grow. Arguably, the most sought-after title for download has been Portal, and for good reason. Until May 24, you can download Portal for free... and that counts for PC users too!

portal_for_mac_051410.jpg

You can read the rest of our post here.

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
Oh, and while we're at it, perhaps Khronos could start taking OpenGL for gaming a little more seriously given that there's major potential to be had.

Actually, they have. OpenGL 4 actually reaches parity with DX10/DX11 in terms of capabilities.

The problem is Apple, which did not update from Open GL 2.1 for several years... only with OS X 10.6.3 have they included partial OpenGL 3 support. The problem is OpenGL 3 was released two years ago, and they still don't offer full support for it. Let alone any updates since then.

It's in Apple's hands if they choose to have Open GL 4 support in OS 10.7 or not.

Frankly though, the impact in image quality is more appalling to me than the loss of 40% of the performance. If I wanted to play fuzzy games I'd just take off my glasses. :D