Playstation 3 to Receive Blu-ray Profile 1.1 Later This Month

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
From our front-page news:
I have to admit something. I love the Playstation 3. Despite not playing it as often as my Xbox 360 (which recently died), I get excited each time I turn it on simply because it's well-designed and offers plenty of power. Another plus is the fact that Sony has been treating their customers well with constant system updates that add new functionality and fixes.

Well, PS3 owners have another reason to be pleased, because the latest Blu-ray profile (1.1) will be heading to the console later this month. This should come as no surprise, considering that the PS3 is one of the primary reasons for the Blu-ray adoption. Profile 1.1 unlocks "next-gen" features such as PiP, better support for downloadable content and other playback fixes.

<table align="center"><tbody><tr><td>
playstation_3_press_shot_large.jpg

</td></tr></tbody></table>
Furthermore, Sony aims to ensure that the machine continues to perform as a strong Blu-ray player as well as a gaming console by releasing the firmware update, Profile 1.1. This new update adds support for next-gen Blu-ray playback features such as picture-in-picture playback, which for 2 separate viewing windows, one where the director could be talking while in the other, the film playing. The other features range into step categories like support for downloadable content.

Source: Playstation Universe