Pity the Poor Jurors in the Apple vs. Samsung Case

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Think being called in for jury duty sucks? Well imagine the poor folks who've been pitted to judge the Apple vs. Samsung case. As has now been revealed, each juror will be receiving a 100-page instruction document (which I can imagine is some enlightening reading), and can then look forward to a 17 page questionnaire for Samsung, and a 9 page for Apple. In all, there will be some 225 checkboxes to tackle.

apple_samsung_082112.png

Read the rest of our post and then discuss it here!

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I tend to agree. I'd do a lot of things to get arrested, I'm sure, because I think the entire jury system is flawed and manages to accomplish little aside from stealing hours from people's lives.

I might not have the best of attitudes about it, but whatever.

madmat

Soup Nazi
As far as I'm aware, in the US the only thing a jury is required to do legally is hear the case and render a verdict. Writing a dissertation on the case or reading a novella on how to do their part of the job is asking a bit much for their $25 a day.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Writing a dissertation on the case or reading a novella on how to do their part of the job is asking a bit much for their $25 a day.

Haha, so true.

I've never been chosen and don't want to be. I came close once. I had to go to this place where there were 100 other prospective jurors and... the accused agreed to some option and everyone got to go home. Was a total waste of time. Could have just chanced it and not gone at all.

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
I think I feel worse for Samsung than I do for the jurors - $1.05 billion in damages awarded to Apple!

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
"Good artists copy, great artists steal. And we have always been shameless about stealing great ideas." - Steve Jobs