PC Gaming Isn't Dying, EA's Games Just Suck

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
From our front-page news:
Way back in April, EA Sports President Peter Moore opened the "PC is dying" floodgates by announcing that Madden 09 would not have a computer-counterpart. The reasoning was that the games are selling less and less, and less, with each year that passes. Fair enough, and understandable.

But, Mr. Moore has again gone ahead and re-opened the gates for more debate, but this time has omitted important facts that anyone who's ever played an EA sports title on the PC is fully aware of. Moore on his blog states that piracy is a massive reason EA is choosing to step away from the PC, and sales go down each year. Again, fair.

But as Rock, Paper, Shotgun investigates, one of the potential reasons for decline might very-well be the fact that their sports titles on the PC get worse with age. While FIFA 06 received an 83% score from PC Gamer UK, FIFA 07 received a 71% and 08 received a 66%. Seems like a lot more than piracy is to blame.

I can agree that their PC games are lackluster, over the console counterparts. Not ever have I bought an EA-developed PC game and been floored. The graphics on the PC should be better, but they aren't. Heck, NFS: Pro Street on the PC doesn't even offer a 2560x1600 resolution, when every other current game does. Of course that's a very limited issue with gamers, but it goes far beyond that. They half-ass their PC games, and that's why they're on a downhill slope.

But regardless of whether EA will admit it or not, that's what they want. With the PC as a low priority, they can push more efforts towards the consoles, where all their money seems to be.

madden_09_screenshot_070708.jpg

Also, conflating employee pay with return on investment is extremely disingenuous. Of course your employees deserve to be paid. However, if they produce substandard work not of a quality to see good sales, I’d suggest they should no longer be your employees. If employees are paid based on the sales of the product, rather than for their time creating them, then the products need to be really good.

Source: Rock, Paper, Shotgun

Naish

E.M.I.
I think "PC Gaming Isn't Dying, EA just half-asses PC Games"
would have been a better title, they release PS2 ports for PC games.

Most of their console titles are great :p.

On_Wisconsin

Coastermaker
2d crowds, completely inaccurate offenses/defenses, and other details that the 360/PS3 versions have that the PC has (and can handle)...man I'm surprised EA half asses games? :eek:

:D

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Well, I've found their NFS series in general has been getting worse with age, which is a shame. I've loved that series since the beginning. The last game was just such a massive disappointment... I have to wonder if EA cares about any of their franchises anymore that aren't sports.

b1lk1

Tech Monkey
I think NFS Pro Street was the first real attempt at anything worthwhile in that franchise, it just fell short by being poorly optimized (surprise surprise). I NFS Carbon was an abysmal failure, far worse than Pro Street. Another major EA Games flaw was very little widescreen support until this last year.

Hard to say if PC gaming is really gonna die, but there is sure limited releases for ANY platform as of late.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
The biggest issues with the NFS series lately is that they just don't have the fun-factor that the games use to have. The last NFS game I really enjoyed was Underground 1 and 2, but some may agree that even the older ones were when the series was at its prime.

One thing to bug me for a while with NFS games is the rubberband effect, where the AI competition can at one point be far behind, and all of a sudden be caught right up. That to me, took most of the fun out of the game. When you know that it's impossible to dominate, and that it's no longer a test of true skill, it makes me wonder why I still play them at all.

As for Pro Street, I think they meant well, but they really couldn't have screwed up more than they did. Who's idea was it to take out the free-roam aspect and put us back to a race-to-race basis? When Underground came out, people LOVED the ability to drive all around a city, so to take it out four games later seems incredibly stupid.

But even that I could deal with if the rest of the game wasn't such a chore. You actually have to work to get things done... figure out what cars you need for a certain set of races, build up and customize your cars so that they will allow you a win... and so forth. It seems like a fun addition, if it wasn't such a chore. I enjoy cars, but when it comes to having to study things and decide long in advance what kind of cars I need to have and what upgrades to put in them, it takes out all of the fun for me.

I'm sure some will disagree, but what I'd like to see again are the old-school titles coming back to life. I absolutely loved NFS 4 and NFS Porsche Unleashed for two reasons: a) WICKED selection of exotic cars. I'm sick of this Chev Cobalt bullshit, I want to race with 911's, Enzo's, Murciélago's and others and also b) better track selection!

In the older games, we weren't stuck in some free city, but rather could select from a robust selection of exotic locations. We could race in the snow through the Swiss alps, the beautiful beaches around Cote d'Azur, hit top speed on the AUTOBAHN, race through the backroads near quaint villages... and so forth.

We do get that in certain racing games nowadays, but they are either horrible games, or simulations. I'd like a throwback to the older NFS games where we could race in amazing locations while still keeping the awesome NFS gameplay we've come to enjoy with the later games.

Or another city-based game wouldn't be half-bad either. I just want something to make up for Pro Street.

b1lk1

Tech Monkey
Need For Speed Hot Pursuit 2 was the ultimate in the NFS series for me. It was kinda short, but it kicked major ass in the gameplay department.

madmat

Soup Nazi
Hell, this is how bad EA sucks... I just went to read Moore's blog and it won't even load! Useless waste of oxygen if you ask me.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Need For Speed Hot Pursuit 2 was the ultimate in the NFS series for me. It was kinda short, but it kicked major ass in the gameplay department.

That game was quite good... a lot of the tracks I found to be quite enjoyable. Some of the later races were ridiculously hard though, especially where you are the cop and had to nab a certain amount of drivers. I still remember the frustration I had, haha.

Hell, this is how bad EA sucks... I just went to read Moore's blog and it won't even load! Useless waste of oxygen if you ask me.

Haha, that happens to the best of us. Dare I mention the downtime we had all last weekend? :eek:

Krazy K

Partition Master
I think "PC Gaming Isn't Dying, EA just half-asses PC Games"
would have been a better title, they release PS2 ports for PC games.

Most of their console titles are great :p.

Yup, ever since EA took over Ultima Online from OSI it has been going downhill.