PC Gamer Rolls Out a Digital Beta on Steam

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Further proving that Valve is planning for its Steam platform to be all things to PC gamers, it almost seems appropriate to learn that gaming magazines might be a big part of its future. Late last week, PC Gamer unveiled its "PC Gamer Digital" beta, to give gamers a taste of what's to come, and also work out whatever bugs might be lingering.

pcgamer_000_091911_thumb.jpg

Read the rest of our post and then discuss it here!

marfig

No ROM battery
Personally, I think it's very unlikely that the beta will extend to other countries. The rest of the world apparently doesn't buy PC Gamer magazines despite them being on about every newstand.

If you are not in the US (or Canada, me thinks) and want to check this beta out:

1. In your browser go to http://store.steampowered.com/?cc=us
  2. On the search box type PC Gamer and hit enter.
  3. Hit the Install button and allow your browser to launch the steam application

It's around a 2GB download. A little hefty considering this is a format we would love to see repeated by other magazines. But that's cool.

I'm still downloading. So I'm not sure I will actually be able to use it. But will let you know.

marfig

No ROM battery
Yup. It works great here. Had access to the beta and let me tell you... wow! They just need to work on the content. I'd appreciate more quality and in-depth material. But... just wow (x2)! You get great presentation and cool interactive features

For instance, I was able to go through Skyrim concept art article, looking at pictures, zooming and panning while listening to the audio documentary for each picture. That's any concept art maniac like myself wettest dream!

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
You get great presentation and cool interactive features

I agree, the presentation was quite fluid. This beta is super light on content though so I am kind of curious as to what the full version will bring. Perhaps it's not even going to be a monthly magazine, but rather just a continually-updated application.