PayPal to Soon Allow Payments Without an Account

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
For as long as I have been purchasing products online, I've been using PayPal to handle almost all of the payments, as it's secure, and far easier to deal with than hauling out a credit card each time to read off the numbers. I'm sure I'm not alone in this, either, because like it or not, PayPal is a dominant force in the online payment game. The service isn't perfect, but I do personally believe that its upsides outweigh the downsides.

paypal_062910.jpg

Read the rest of our news post here and discuss it here!

Tharic-Nar

Senior Editor
Staff member
People have been able to use PayPal without an account for quite a while. With online retail transactions, you could opt to use PayPal and enter credit-card details to make the transaction without having to open up a PayPal account. A system I have used many times.

The difference here is that it’s an application plugin for software devs that’ll handle the transaction within the app, rather than transferring the customer to PayPal’s website and doing it manually. It’s part of the PayPal X system using their “Adaptive Payments API”.

b1lk1

Tech Monkey
I am still very much anti-Paypal. I do use it out of sheer necessity, but the fees they charge are stupid. Why is it I can transfer any amount of money online with Interact through my bank for $1.50 yet Paypal's minimum charge is never under $1 even when you transfer little. It also takes them 3-5 days to transfer from my Paypal account to my bank account yet Interact is immediate. I further detest that transferring under $150 from your Paypal to checking costs another $.50.

These fees cannot be justified and until the monopoly they have ends, I will continue to use them as sparingly as possible.

TheCrimsonStar

Tech Monkey
Very nice. For some reason I haven't been charged anything to transfer money to my paypal account and I've done it a few times o_O

This question is kinda off-topic, but it's still about paypal. I'm getting $1,000 paypal cash from Lockerz at this month's redemption. That money will be put into my paypal account, not my bank account, I already know that. What I'm wondering is if I can use that money for any online purchase that uses paypal (like newegg).

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
Unless they are secretly deducting fees on the transferred balance, Paypal doesn't charge fees to transfer money to (or from) a bank account. Paypal charges fees on payments received though, which I do find to be excessive.

This question is kinda off-topic, but it's still about paypal. I'm getting $1,000 paypal cash from Lockerz at this month's redemption. That money will be put into my paypal account, not my bank account, I already know that. What I'm wondering is if I can use that money for any online purchase that uses paypal (like newegg).

Paypal automatically uses funds in your Paypal account first, before it attempts to charge your CC or draft your checking account. This option can't be disabled either. So yes, any sort of payment made via Paypal will automatically deduct from your current Paypal balance first.

b1lk1

Tech Monkey
In Canada, Paypal charges $.50 for balance transfers to your bank account when you are transferring under $150. My real problem is that when I was selling on Ebay and paying not only and Ebay fee but a Paypal fee as well. Any way you look at it, Paypal is a complete ripoff to me.

madstork91

The One, The Only...
So they are making it more like it used to be where it wasnt locked to a bank acct... but even more in that direction since you dont even need an account. Right...?