Palit Introduces Three-Slot Graphics Card

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
From our front-page news:
Remember when the first dual-slot GPUs came out? I'm not certain, but I believe it could have been the NVIDIA 6800 Ultra. The dual-slot likeness didn't matter too much though, as the card was powerful enough to earn those two spots. That's still the case today, and given that the latest GPUs can run upwards of 80°C with relative ease (especially ATI's HD 4000 series), dual coolers are an actual necessity.

Well, how about taking things to the next level? By next level, I mean by creating a triple-slot GPU! That's right. Palit's upcoming Revolution 700, based on the HD 4870 X2, takes up three slots in your PC thanks to it's extremely bulky cooler. As this card can run extremely hot during full load though, the reason behind this is obvious.

The cooler itself seems pretty similar to Palit's own HD 4870 Sonic we reviewed last month, except it's a lot more solid here. The cooler still uses a dual-fan design, and includes a multitude of thin fins throughout the entire bottom, with most of the "free space" appearing between the fans themselves and the fins (there seems to be a slight gap). Oddly enough, this card doesn't come pre-overclocked, except on the memory, but I'm willing to bet it's going to keep the card much, much cooler than one with the reference cooler design.

palit_three_slot_card_111008.jpg

The company just announced its Revolution 700 Deluxe, which runs on two 750 MHz GPUs like the 4870 X2 reference design, but offers 2 GB of GDDR5 memory that runs at 3800 MHz instead of 3600 MHz. There are two PWM fans as well as four heat pipes to cool the entire package, which comes in a 3-slot design.

Source: TG Daily