Overclocking an older processor

Demure

Obliviot
Hey guys,

I've never overclocked anything in my life, but I want to learn how. Does anyone know any good sites for tutorials? I couldn't find any on this site. You guys should write some. Anyway, I have a few questions.

1. Is it possible to overclock an AMD Athlon XP 1900+ 1.46Ghz
2. What is generally needed to safely overlock a computer?
3. How do I know what processors are overclockable and what are not? Or are all overclockable?

Thank you!

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
We <em>should</em> write some, I agree. The sad thing though, is that we'd have to keep updating it, because with each new architecture launch, things can change rather drastically. It's definitely something we've been planning on for a while though, and hope to accomplish within the next six months.

Yes, you can overclock that XP, but I honestly wouldn't expect you to get too far. I had an XP 2600+ I believe it was, and it went <em>nowhere</em>, but I was one of the unluckier ones. I'd expect even 1.6GHz to be pushing it though, so you'll want to take small baby steps when increasing the clocks.

For that architecture, you'll have to increase the bus slowly (I don't remember the stock setting... been way too long), and also the CPU voltage. You won't want to increase either too starkly though... like I said, baby steps. Note the multiplier on the CPU, and calculate your overclock before you apply it (Bus * Multi). I wouldn't increase your voltage more than 0.1v over stock.

That will be a difficult chip to overclock... very unforgiving. If you had a more recent AMD or Intel chip, you'd feel like a genius because they're so easy to overclock.