On board versus sound cards

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
Can anyone really tell a frickin differance? I know I have shitty speakers but still, I wonder daily why I wasted so much money on the Audigy 2 ZS when it came out. Damn it Dark, damn it.

madmat

Soup Nazi
I can :) Of course if you've got a good onboard system like the VIA 24 bit or Audigy onboard there's not much reason to lay out good cash on a discrete card.

leecho7

Partition Master
I notice a difference between my onboard sound and my sound card. It's a whole world of difference. If you have 80 bucks, then pick up a Sound Blaster Audigy 4. BF2, Oblivion, and even music have never sounded better. With the right headphones/speakers, you'll literally hear things you never heard before in games and in music. My only gripe is all my PCI slots are now used up. One for the sound, and one for the wireless network card...

b1lk1

Tech Monkey
Sorry to revive such an old topic, but hte latest AL888DD onboard sound is AMAZING to say the least. I just removed my Audigy 2 ZS as it does not even sound as good as this onboard. Also, it can deliver real Dolby Digital Live AND DTS through the S/Pdif. Playing music and games and what not through my Z-680's has never been so gratifying. Anyone looking to eliminate the sound cards in their new PC's, get this onboard codec and you'll never look back.

madstork91

The One, The Only...
I thought the onboard sound for my mobo was decent enough, then i put in my x-fi. WOW!!!! theres a differance you wouldnt believe. I think the differance comes in how well each individual mobo's built in sound performs and how great of a sound card you are putting in. I mean if there on board is a 5.7 digital surround and the card you put in is s a dual cahnnel stereo surround (just right and left channels) you will actually be going down quite a few notches.

On a side note, there isnt too much of a differance from on board to card or even a 200$ card to a 50$ one if you are using some cheap A$$ speakers. If your card uses 4.??? or higher, you wont know half of the sound that is being played on alot of things untill you go out and spend the money on a decent pair of speakers. Thats my 2 cents worth anyhow.

ps. Im busy right now and am not going to even attempt a half aced job a spell checking. PHEAR MEH TYPOS!