OCZ water cools memory

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
As the World’s fastest DDR2, the PC2-9200, in combination with the innovative FlexXLC technology, is considerably the most ground-breaking and unique memory product existing today.

These new modules feature the new OCZ FlexXLC (Xtreme Liquid Convention) heatsink that delivers superior heat dissipation via a hybrid copper and aluminum design alterable between passive air or water cooling.

Among these thermal management advantages, the PC2-9200 FlexXLC also implements a new 8-layer PCB. This facilitates less “crosstalk,” consequently enhancing the module’s total signal integrity.

The PC2-9200 FlexXLC modules are optimized for the latest cutting edge platforms and will be available in 2GB (2x1024MB) dual channel kits. As part of OCZ’s line-up of premium memory, the PC2-9200 series is backed by a Lifetime Warranty and industry-leading technical support. Harnessing the achievement of leading-edge speed, high performance heat dissipation, and enhanced signal integrity, the unparalleled design of the OCZ PC2-9200 FlexXLC is a complete, all-encompassing solution certain to set a new benchmark in enthusiast memory.

I knew that OCZ was working on a special headspreader, but this one kind of threw me for a loop. Though it reminds me of the DOMINATOR headspreaders from Corsair, it's functions are quite different. While the DOMINATOR uses a special spreader to target the PCB, these XLC's have a special 8-layer PCB, although I am unsure how that will help with anything.

The spreader looks unique though, and since I love OCZ I am looking forward to seeing how far she can be pushed. One benefit is that these CAN be used without water, as one would expect. I will be receiving these next week, and plan to test the overclocking ability prior to the water and then after.

Here's to hoping the results will be more than impressive...

Attachments

• FLEX_XLC_module2.jpg
    FLEX_XLC_module2.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 564

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
I was only a matter of time before RAM needed to be actively cooled. By the picture, you cant really tell if the water runs along the memory modules on the side or if they just run along the top of the sticks. Either way, I would like to see the results.