OCZ Shows Off Z-Drive R4 SSD at Computex; Reaches 1.5 Million IOPS

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
In a showing that's sure to make the performance of our desktop SSDs look inadequate, OCZ took advantage of the ongoing Computex event to show off one of its configurations that sets a new performance record. How does 1.5 million read IOPS sound? Or 1 million write IOPS? That's right... performance at least 30x faster than even the fastest desktop SSDs today.

ocz_zdrive_r3_060111.jpg

Read the rest of our post and discuss it here!

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
I wish OCZ would hook up the TG staff. :p Here I was thinking my 50k was good!

marfig

No ROM battery
Will probably join the TMS RamSan-630 in the enterprise market -- which last year reached the 1 million IOPS -- and will no doubt put some pressure on it.

The trend is great, the obvious competition ever greater. But with the apparent "ease" and speed at which new barriers are broken, I'm starting to become very (very) suspicious of the current prices among the consumer-based products and if they truly reflect production costs, or are instead being fixed...

Tharic-Nar

Senior Editor
Staff member
Price fixing... in the tech industry? Never... :p

OCZ is largely after Fusion-IO's market, but 8x controllers in RAID 0 on MLC NAND... it makes me very uncomfortable. It's the metaphorical lightbulb, twice as bright, half as long.

The thing is, with these silly IOPS numbers, they pretty much have no relevance to consumers, since those numbers are only reached with massive queue-depths, which are realistically unattainable on a standard desktop. 2.7GB/s throughput... might have some very limited use, massive RAW movies, instant hibernate, above average PS saves, maybe even shave a couple seconds off boot time, lol.

Oh well, at least it's nice to know storage isn't the huge bottleneck it once was for the last 30 years.

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
I wish OCZ would hook up the TG staff. :p Here I was thinking my 50k was good!

It's still surprising to think.... the original Kingston V+ drives that came out in 2009 using Toshiba controllers were rated at a random 4K write of just 84 IOPS. Yes, you read that correctly, it's even listed in their tech specs page. :p

The 128GB model was 156 IOPS, at that. And to imagine those were good controllers compared to some of the Samsung and JMicron controllers at the time... :eek:

I fully agree though, with the advent of 50,000K+ random read/write IOPS anything higher is getting close to superfluous for most desktop users. At this rate we'll soon have more icing than actual cake. :p