OCZ Offers Up a Fast 4GB DDR2 Kit

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
From our front-page news:
Maxing out your machine with lots of RAM has never been easier, thanks in part to cheap DDR2 parts. Last year, 8GB of RAM would have set you back at least $600, but now, prices have dwindled to the extent of that being possible for as low as $200. It's truly incredible, and a huge draw for all consumers to go overboard with their memory configuration.

Thanks to OCZ, that 8GB of installed RAM no longer has to be slow. Their new Reaper HPC DDR2-1066 improves upon the DDR2-800 kits last year that were considered "high-end". Pricing is not mentioned in the press release, but it will no doubt hover around the $200 mark. One things for sure though, a high-end motherboard will be required if 8GB of RAM at stock speeds is planned. Low-end boards will be unlikely able to handle that type of stress.

<table align="center"><tbody><tr><td>
ocz_reaper_hpc_large_news_logo.jpg

</td></tr></tbody></table>
"In order to maximize the system performance, especially in the latest games, 4GB of memory are more and more becoming a must have…but it is also necessary to maintain the throughput regardless of the increase in density. The new PC2-8500 Reaper HPC 4GB kits combine the best of two worlds by delivering extreme bandwidth at 1066 MHz data frequency at 5-5-5 latencies, in combination with advanced heatpipe-based thermal management to again raise the bar for high system memory densities."

Source: OCZ Press Release

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
Currently, I can't see a personal need for 8 GBs if memory but it's nice that you can get speed DIMMs if you do need it.

I suppose if Firefox gets any worse though, and is used on a Vista machine, then all 8GB of RAM could get tied up.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
No one needs 8GB of memory, but it's hard to resist when prices are THIS good. 4GB should be better all around either way, with latencies and the like.