OCZ Goes Small with 1.8-inch Onyx and Vertex 2 SSDs

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
If you're in the market to upgrade your desktop PC or notebook with a solid-state disk, the options are near-limitless, with new models being released all the time. For those which ultra-mobiles though, nettops or some other variant that utilize 1.8-inch drives, options have been much more limited. In fact, the lone SSD at that form-factor I can think of has been Intel's X18. That's a decent drive, but it's clear that competition has been lacking.

ocz_vertex2_mobile_062110.jpg

Read the rest of our news post here and discuss it here!

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
Heh, any smaller and they could fit in a wallet...

Something interesting is the density on these... for the 1.8" form factor, SSDs may soon be offering higher capacities than even HDDs in a year, if not two. There's no reason they can't fit 512GB in one already...

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I don't think it's so much a technical limitation as much as a cost limitation. 1TB 2.5" SSDs could no doubt exist right now, but the price would be astronomical. Until NAND prices plummet, mechanical drives for actual storage are not going to have much to worry about. You're right though, I'd expect a lot to change in the next year especially. It will be interesting.