OC'ing problems?

Krazy K

Partition Master
God I hope I didn't fall into that for some reason. I'm getting intermittent lock-ups and pin it down to either software or hardware yet.
Ran Memtest x86, and a full CHKDSK and it locks on my 750gb drive(secondary). So I disabled that but it still locks. How else can I narrow this down.
All overclocking AI is off, and temps are well within nominal.

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
Are you using SATA or PATA ?

You really need to give more info of your problem and OS and all......

We would like to help...... just give more information
Take out the OC and reboot

:techgage::techgage: Merlin :techgage::techgage:

Krazy K

Partition Master
Both drives are sata, the main is a 150gb raptor 1.5gb/s and the secondary is a 750gb wd 3.0gb/s.
Graphics provided by msi's 8600 gts oc and the mainboard is a asus m2n-sli deluxe chipped with an amd 64 x2 6400+.
I have an old pata drive with a windows install on it that I use for troubleshooting and it's being difficult and not running. At least I haven't forgot that I need to jumper them correctly.
Windows xp pro sp2.

I also swapped the memory modules out and went one at a time and it didn't work. I have no other pci-e gpus that I could swap but it seems odd that that would be the culprit.

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
Does this happen without the overclock? Made sure the PCIe bus was locked at 100?

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
Before these two builds ( see signature ) I had the AMD62 X2 6000+ with M2N32 Sli Deluxe WiFI.
The board quit on me, I think it was the PCIe slot.

Maybe this can help........
Try unplugging all other devices like HD's, CD's, DVD etc.. and see if you get video. If not, then it could be a CPU problem, memory problem, or even a bad mother bd. Also, if there are jumpers on the board, make certain they are correct.

Last edited:

Krazy K

Partition Master
I ran nTune and it set up an advanced profile, I forgot I did that otherwise I would have undone that. I rolled back with system restore then it froze and I got upset and left the house. When I came back I had an error for NV4_DISP.DLL, a search revealed that it was the nVidia drivers so I reloaded that and restarted. Haven't had any freezes since then, so that might have done it.

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
I ran nTune and it set up an advanced profile, I forgot I did that otherwise I would have undone that. I rolled back with system restore then it froze and I got upset and left the house. When I came back I had an error for NV4_DISP.DLL, a search revealed that it was the nVidia drivers so I reloaded that and restarted. Haven't had any freezes since then, so that might have done it.
Yeah, I have tried NTune, when I try to use it, it just freezes the system. The best way to overclock is from BIOS, If you have a bad OC, the you can reset it and try another OC....worst case, you have to reset BIOS.

Krazy K

Partition Master
I tried loading the failsafe values in bios and that didn't do anything. I got an RMA for MSI and I'm trying to get one for ASUS. I don't know what else I can replace, memory is good and as far as I know the processor isn't an option. If this doesn't work I'll try replacing the case and then I'll quit.

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
I tried loading the failsafe values in bios and that didn't do anything. I got an RMA for MSI and I'm trying to get one for ASUS. I don't know what else I can replace, memory is good and as far as I know the processor isn't an option. If this doesn't work I'll try replacing the case and then I'll quit.
But, did you clear CMOS ?? Pop out the coin sized battery overnight

Last edited:

Krazy K

Partition Master
But, did you clear CMOS ?? Pop out the coin sized battery overnight

Loading failsafe values will do the same thing as clearing cmos. After it's cleared it draws those same values from an area of eeprom, if I remember correctly.

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
Loading failsafe values will do the same thing as clearing cmos. After it's cleared it draws those same values from an area of eeprom, if I remember correctly.
Well, I hate to RMA and I know you do as well.
And I don't know your procedure of loading failsafe values....but i would try to clear the CMOS....lol
Persistant aint I........:D
It wouldn't hurt and it might clear something that failsafe didn't

Krazy K

Partition Master
Aye, it is a hassle to RMA. Hiper forgot to ship cords with my modular ps, which I got 2 weeks ago and I sent to them 2 weeks before that. When you call them what do they say? OOPS!
I guess, I'll pull that raptor outta my Koolance case and stick it back in the pig and see what happens.

Last edited: